Projects Gerald's Carbon Arrow shaft fuse plane

Gerald

Well winter wont let up so I keep building! I found this plane design and the arrow shaft makes a strong light weight fuse, I made the wing a KFM3 7" cord, 33" wide.
nose to tail 26". all up weight 14 oz, 396 grams.

View attachment 10232

View attachment 10233

View attachment 10234

View attachment 10235

Did a maiden flight last sunday in 30 deg. weather takes off great, would not turn! Had no aileron authority at all!:sad0147: and I hit a tree!
Did some reasearch found aileron surface lacking by 10 Sq.In.:facepalm:

So here is my improved ailerons!

View attachment 10236

Test flight at lunch yesterday in 20 deg. weather and they work great!:hdbng:

Will try for video on next outing have to get through the snow storm for now!

Gerald

Nice, what's the power plant in that thing?

That is a fine Hobby King donkey 1550KV $6.00 with a 8x4 slow prop I am running it with 500mah 3s battery. Fairly strong motor actually, I was doing high alpha with it yesterday! I purchased the spinner from Grayson hobbies. The landing gear is piano wire that I wrapped the joints with strands of copper wire and soldered the joints, my first try at this method, I like it!

Derek

That's awesome, Gerald! I bet its a real smooth flyer....when you aren't bouncing it off trees, lol. Looks great!!!

Gerald

That's awesome, Gerald! I bet its a real smooth flyer....when you aren't bouncing it off trees, lol. Looks great!!!

Thanks Derek, It is amazing in flight! Lifts off in 4 feet at 1/2 throttle and I did not even have to trim it, flew level first try!
Want to get some more air time with it, and maybe even build a bigger one! Might even try different wing styles! It is a floater for sure!

Top Bottom