General Knowledge

Capn Pete

I have some general questions, if it's ok.

1.- What temperature range is it safe to leave electronics in the car? What temp is considered extreme for electronics in planes/helis? Transmitters? I have been told that the planes, etc. can withstand more, but TX and batteries need to come inside. true? Will it damage planes/ helis to sit in a hot car? Cold car? I live in N. Carolina and temps range from low's in the 20's to hi's in the 90's most of the time.

2.-What general maintenance is suggested for helis? My 130s sounded like the main bearing was dry, so I put a drop of lite oil on it and it's quiet now. Is that recommended? If not,what is?

3.-Can I use a 200 mah battery in my Blade nano? It came with a 150 mah.

4.-What is a good maintenance for linear servos? Should I use alcohol? Hydrogen peroxide? I've heard tell of a cleaning solvent that can be just sprayed on them without removing them.

Thanks,
Pete

Admiral

1. LiPo batteries can be damaged if put under heavy load under 50°F and perform best between 85°F and 120°F although I wouldn't use them at the upper temperature, where I live I would never leave my batteries in a car as temperature in summer often exceed 100°F and in a closed parked car will reach 150°F in about 6 minutes we have had several children an dogs die in parked cars over the years.

2. Bearing are a good starting point, from memory most unexpected noises usually came from the Torque Drive set up on my 130's, worn gears or poor mesh were the normal cause.

3. So long as it is the same cell count and fits.

4. Electrical Contact Cleaner should be safe to use, I strip them down and use a cotton bud with Acetone on mine, works fine.

murankar

Staff member
North Carolina is a transitional zone.

Maintenance on a heli is generally bearing lube. When tearing things down though you will look at everything to ensure proper fit and not worn. Dampers tend to need replacing every so many flights. Depending on how hard you fly it could be as often as every season. Compass was known for every 150 hard 3d flights.

With batteries the mah has nothing to do with the help except its size. That part you need to be really concerned with is the cell count because of the voltage. The more mah the more flight time. Again you'll be limited by its physical size. Also watch the c rating. The higher the c rating the heavier the battery. Just go with a 30 c and call it good. Chances are you won't max the pack out.

Capn Pete

North Carolina is a transitional zone.

Maintenance on a heli is generally bearing lube. When tearing things down though you will look at everything to ensure proper fit and not worn. Dampers tend to need replacing every so many flights. Depending on how hard you fly it could be as often as every season. Compass was known for every 150 hard 3d flights.

With batteries the mah has nothing to do with the help except its size. That part you need to be really concerned with is the cell count because of the voltage. The more mah the more flight time. Again you'll be limited by its physical size. Also watch the c rating. The higher the c rating the heavier the battery. Just go with a 30 c and call it good. Chances are you won't max the pack out.

Many thanks. Thats kinda what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I was sure as long as voltage was right, it'd be OK, but wasn't sure about C rating.

murankar

Staff member
I forgot something. Belted helis will react way different in the weather shifts. I mentioned the transitional zone earlier. Because of your location you can see huge temperature shifts throughout the day.

Now the belt tenshion will change with the ambient temps throughout the day. You want a looser belt in the winter and a tighter belt in the summer.

I am not overly concerned about electronics and the weather. I don't think it would get hot enough to affect those. Unless you have an improper esc for your flying style. The only reason I say I am not concerned about the electronics is because just sitting there nothing should happen. All those surface mount components go through a reflow oven which is hot enough to melt solder. Your car won't get that hot.

What I am concerned about is plastic and batteries. In general most plastics get brittle at lower temps and soft at higher temps. I know we deal mostly with reinforced plastics or delrin. I don't think blade uses those kinds of plastics on the small birds. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Capn Pete

I forgot something. Belted helis will react way different in the weather shifts. I mentioned the transitional zone earlier. Because of your location you can see huge temperature shifts throughout the day.

Now the belt tenshion will change with the ambient temps throughout the day. You want a looser belt in the winter and a tighter belt in the summer.

I am not overly concerned about electronics and the weather. I don't think it would get hot enough to affect those. Unless you have an improper esc for your flying style. The only reason I say I am not concerned about the electronics is because just sitting there nothing should happen. All those surface mount components go through a reflow oven which is hot enough to melt solder. Your car won't get that hot.

What I am concerned about is plastic and batteries. In general most plastics get brittle at lower temps and soft at higher temps. I know we deal mostly with reinforced plastics or delrin. I don't think blade uses those kinds of plastics on the small birds. Just something to keep in mind.

All my helis are gear drive, but good to know for future reference. At least I know I can leave some stuff in the car at work and not have to haul everything inside. I will bring in TX and batteries, though. Mostly I worry about theft during the day.

Good info, Thanks,
Pete

Top Bottom