Gbit Internet

bigone5500

@Tony have they got your internet hooked up yet? I was curious about what kind of speed you are actually getting. I had 100Mbit here and was getting 106. I got an upgrade to 400Mbit but only get about 276 at the highest. They (suddenlink) claim "up to" 400. For $30 more I can get 1Gbit but I think I'll only get about 500 from that. Yours will be a different beast coming through the power so I was wondering if you will actually get what they sell you.

RandyDSok

Actually Tony's is coming through fiber ( it's delivered by the power company though ). He is usually getting well north of 900Mbps when he's live streaming ( more actually, can't remember the actual numbers he mentioned ).

If you got an upgrade to 400Mbps and are only getting 276Mbps... first check that your modem is capable of it and if so... then ask them why you aren't seeing the full ( almost full amount since there is some overhead ) amount. If they are unable to deliver the full 400Mbps to where you live... there is no way upping your subscription will get you any more if it's a limitation brought on by the distance out you are from them. So talk to them first before you change and have to pay for something you can't get.

There is a possibility that your modem doesn't have enough downlink channels to deliver what you are now paying for... if so you'll want a new modem before making any changes.

Tony

Staff member
Like Randy stated, I have fiber (dual wavelength, single strand) run all the way into my house. I can touch the fiber and see the light. Hey, I can see the light, maybe I should walk towards it lol. So my connection is not going through copper until my cat6 patch cable going into my router.

My speeds are regularly over 900, most times over 950 and when nothing is going on in the house, over 1000mbps download. My upload is almost always over 975 since the network doesn't use upload that often. While I'm streaming, I have done multiple tests and my upload has been over a gig. Again, while I"m streaming.

In your case Jared, there are different modems out there, and there is one that is only good to about 200mbps, might be 250, can't remember. If you don't have a modem, as Randy also stated, that can handle the bandwidth, you will never receive it. One way of testing is to get your own gigabit capable modem/router and see if you get your speeds that you are paying for.

If none of that works, there is a house for sale by me and you can get full gigabit :chuckles:

bigone5500

I use a motorola surfboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0. I just won't be able to get 1Gbit. I can live with what I have though. I am excited though to have 42Mbit upload!

*edit* I theoretically CAN get 1Gbit with this modem but not through suddenlink.

Tony

Staff member
This is what is stated on that modem - Up to 343 Mbps DOCSIS® Download Speeds. I think we found your problem....

Top Bottom