General Gaui or Goblin? That is the Question

Make a choice

• Total voters

murankar

Staff member
Then it makes sense. But to go new and with goblin it's a no brainer to go 700. Now if you want to go 600 and be cheap then Align is the way to go. That's just price alone. Nice thing about the Gobby 700 is that it can go 14S just because.

What's crazy is outside of Align and Goblin I don't know of any other 600 sized helis. Maybe JR but then again that would be flybared.

Smoggie

There are a few 600 size around:
  • Kasama Dune 600 (I have one, super heli !)
  • Compass 6Hv
  • Synergy E6
  • Mikado Logo 550 SE
  • Thunder Tiger Titan X50e

And probably others, but i agree, most development seems to be on smaller or larger sizes.

murankar

Staff member
Depends on what you have for electronics. Motor maybe if you keep the 3S setup. I dont think the older Align motor will have the grunt to haul 360 sized blades. The ESC will need to be 50 to 60 amp for the X3 and something like 90 amps for the 380. Servos could work but I think your going to want something close the to KST DS215MGs. Gyro will need to be FBL and not a tail gyro, the older 450 Pro is a Flybar, unless you have an fbl version. If thats the case you will NOT want to run the 3GX or 3G or Gpro on it. Go with an use BeastX. The X# will fly on 325mm blades just fine. Little high on disk loading but it will fly.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I do have the KST 215MG servos all around on the 450 DFC and the X3. I had no problems with them beside being power hogs. Lol. I also have the KST 515MG for the 500. The AR7200BX are on the 450 and the X3 while the 500 has the AR7300BX. Alot of people like the Aligns servos but the KST work fine for me.

Smoggie

Can any of the TRex 450 electronics be installed in a 380 or X3

The X3 would work depending on specific hardware you had for the Trex (as Uri explained)

The Goblin 380 is a bigger and heavier heli all round it's not a '450 class' heli at all. So for that you need different hardware. Many people fly the Goblin on the HW 60A ESC with no issues at all, some use the Castle 90A but that's ridiculous overkill IMHO.. (that's the ESC you get with a Trex 550!). Bigger isnt always better, it's best to watch weight carefully with the 380 because it will build as an overweight pig if you 'go large' on all the components.

trainrider06

I just had this vision of a heli bulging with components spooling up, laboring to lift off....lol sorry my over active imagination :)

Smoggie

I'm still leaning towards picking up a 380.

SAB have just brought out a stretched version of the 380 with 420mnm blades.. called unsurprisingly the Goblin 420. I'm not sure if it replaces the 380 or will be sold alongside it.

For my money this would be the better bet because the stock 380 is a bit of a 'porker' and the larger blades will give it much lighter disk loading.

SAB have just brought out a stretched version of the 380 with 420mnm blades.. called unsurprisingly the Goblin 420. I'm not sure if it replaces the 380 or will be sold alongside it.

For my money this would be the better bet because the stock 380 is a bit of a 'porker' and the larger blades will give it much lighter disk loading.
My Trex 550E is a very well built solid heli but I'm wondering if I shouldn't upgrade. The 420 may be a better option down the road.

Smoggie

A 550 and a 700 make a good pair because they both fly on the same batteries. You would need different batteries for the G420, i think it would be more logical to stick with the 550 but I know logic doesnt rule when it comes to buying helis, I'm a good example of that with more helis than i can fly.

I found a deal on a 380 I couldn't pass up. Ever since selling my Gaui I wanted another 450 and I think the 380 is what I'm looking for. Pics soon....The 420'would b close to size with my 550 and I'm already in that range. Just wanted a 450, 550, and 700 sized heli for practical reasons.

Smoggie

Cool, looking forward to seeing the new heli, always nice to get a bargain! FWIW the 420 is nowhere near the size of your 550 (it's less than half the weight of a 550). It's virtually the same heli as the 380 but with bigger blades.

Last edited:
Cool, looking forward to seeing the new heli, always nice to get a bargain! FWIW the 420 is nowhere near the size of your 550 (it's less than half the weight of a 550). It's virtually the same heli as the 380 but with bigger blades.

Oh really? It looks like the 380 is bigger than the regular 450 but smaller than a 500 so I assumed a stretched 380 (420) would be about the same size.

Tony

Staff member
Align coined the term 450 and 500 which actually have a 325mm and 425mm blades respectively. The Goblin 380 is going to have 380mm blades and the 420 is going to have 420mm blades. Of course when you go to the 420 you are going to have to get a longer tail boom as well and a new tail belt and linkage rod. So in all reality, the Goblin 420 is almost exactly the same size as the Align 500. But then when you get into the Align 550, 600, 700 and so on, those are actual blade sizes which used to be known as .50 size, .90 size and so on.

Smoggie

Yeah, as Tony points out the G420 is close to the rotor size of a Trex 500 (which uses 425mm blades), but the G420 being a stretched version of a smaller heli is lighter than the trex 500 and uses a smaller battery and smaller servos etc. The Trex 550 is a much bigger heli all round.

Heli size classification is very confusing. You have a combination of the old 'class' designations (eg 250, 300, 400, 450, 470, 500) where the numbers have no relation to any actual physical dimension of the heli. Then you have the more logical designations based on blade size (eg 230, 270, 360, 380, 420, 500, 550, 600 700, 800 etc).

This gets you into the crazy situation where for example the 360, 380 and 420 size helis are all larger than a traditional 450 heli. Also the Align 500 with it's 425mm blades is a lot smaller than say, a SAB Goblin 500 which takes up to about 520mm blades....what a mess! Align still aren't doing anything to help, if fact it's getting worse Align have just released their Trex 470 which is the same blade size as a Goblin 380!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
... and the old guys too! :emobag: I'm using on my 500, RJX 430mm blade on it. If the tail blades "82mm" wont hit, I was wondering if their any problem with me trying out the RJX 470mm blades on the 500 instead?

murankar

Staff member
Yes the 420 is nothing more than a streatched 380. This means you get the bigger blades with out the weight. I am forcasting the 420 to be lighter than an Align 500 (425mm blades). The only reason I suggested this is because the G380 is being reported as killing batteries. The batteries life span is not all that long if flown in that airframe. I personally dont know, thats just what the gossip is.

Top Bottom