Gaba's Vibe 50 new head and swash geometry ... but something goes wrong....

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
So ... flying on a weekend, I realized my pitch pumps weren't powerful, the engine was making power, but the pitch pumps just SUCKED.. so did the tick tocks

Well.. I then realized, that the tracx head with its delrin arms just had way too much give in it. I didnt like that. Got online and got myself a used Outrage head. Its a swash follower (as align calls V2) style head. Well... You may ask why go backwards.. check out my other thread about that..

after that, checking my cyclic limits, I was only able to mechanicall get 6 degrees of pitch which SUCKED also. Why ? I hadnt realized, but the last two years, I had been flying this heli with the wrong spacer on the swash rods, which made the push pull mechanism hit the main gear. I looked at the manual and cursed myself pretty hard that day I remember. ANywaz.. didnt have the right spacer so between waiting for two spacers to show up ( for aileron and pitch servo ) , or use the one I had which was a 140degree swash spacer. Meant I would have to change my links and such, but I love setting up helis , and I had everything to set it up as 140.. so I said ohh what the heck, we will go the longer route hahahahahahha... rather than waiting for the right spacer. SO i converted the heli to a 140Degree CCPM.

BEST PART... I knew IKON supported JR patented 140 degree swash.. But didnt realize that IKON does NOT support PHASING corrections for 140 swash yet.... LOL .. Wrote to the IKON team, got contacted by the guy "mtuccio" .. and he said, in the next software that will be added as well!! MAN I LOVE IT WHEN COMPANIES LISTEN TO REQUESTS.. He said not many use 140 swash so they hadnt bothered creating an advanced menu for it, as every one uses 120. But now that they know someone needs it, they will put it in!!!!! WOW! I was amazed that they heard me

all that to say, back to the flight. This was a maiden of both outrage head and the 140 swash system and I had redone my lines from the last time I saw bubbles in my fuel line.

So basically.. there is a HUGE improvement in the flying of this heli. Head is rigid, so not a whole lot of give.. and that makes it track. MAN the pictch pumps as you see in the video are INSANE! and the bird just sings...

so what happened?? after contemplating with frend for a while on what the crap happened, I saw the clunk just hanging out on the bottom of the tank.. Apparerntly, the fuel line I used swell or made the clunk slip out totally.. and as you can I was inverted going backwards, and couldnt have been in a worse position there.. LOL. . Kept my cool.. HAd a hard bump to the ground.. but it was right side up and opn the skids.. So ALL is SAFE!

here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRnPw6vZ3RQ

and here is the culprit

photo(15).jpg

ENJOY

photo(15).jpg

Tony

Staff member
Helicopter looked great in the air bro! One thing to remember, you are running muffler pressure, and the exhaust fumes and heat will eat the fuel tubing. On a helicopter that runs muffler pressure, you should always keep fuel in the tank at all times. At least enough to keep the fuel line submerged. I say this as I look over to the 600N and it's sitting with about 30 seconds of fuel in it lmao.

I would be checking shafts on that one. That landing was hard.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
But these fuel lines degrade if left wit fuel in the tank for too long.

Last time I opened it, I saw the lines eaten away, I had the fuel full in tank sitting there for 3 weeks or so.

I never had this issue before of the clink falling off haha

I am gonna look for a better clunk line. Lol

Landing was hard but saved the sucker as if it had been inverted, that would have just caused a ton if damage

Tony

Staff member
I'm just going off of what Bobby Watts and Bert Kammerer stated in that Smack video.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I have heard that, I that could my issue. I dont know. I have stopped doing one thing which was told to me I should. and I guess that is biting me too. That every time with muffler presure helis, refuel the heli immediately after flight.. EXACTLY what you said..

till the engine cools down, and then take that fuel out. I will open the sucker, and see whats wrong tonite. definitely getting a new fuel line lol

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I would replace the fuel line, no doubt about that. You have to think just how much that clunk moves around when you are flying. It's bound to happen at some time, and it did. Just glad that you could do an somewhat auto to get it back down. The best thing is you were able to get it back upright and not try to land that sucker on the head button lmao.

concept30

whats the stunt called when your flying backwards in a circle? Is there a way to get that piece out of the tank? You did an awesome Auto when the heli cut off

pvolcko

I think the fumes eat at the clunks, not the fuel line. They said to keep enough fuel in there to keep the clunk sumberged and to try to evacuate any muffler fumes in the tank, if possible. Would expect the fuel to eat at the fuel line over time, kind of like how the ethanol gas eats at the rubber and seals in older engines.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, very nice save, Gaba.

Tony

Staff member
You are half right on that one, and I remember now. It's not the fuel line that gets eaten, it's the Fuel Magnet clunks foam that gets eaten away. My bad, should have watched the video before posting lmao.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
yeah that fuel magnet stuff is evil.. But I use the OS bubble less clunk.. The line inside the tank was new.. two tanks flown haha.. so something went wrong in installation or just a defective pipe. or may be I nicked it putting it in..

Concept 30: Yes I can take it out.. shouldnt be a problem. Its just called flying backwards inverted.. but on a sharp bank, any forward or backward flight would be called a hurricane

Last edited:

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
my understanding for a muffler pressure system was that once your finished flying your suppose to disconnect the pressure line, than fill the tank completely than drain the tank completely. so that A you get all the unwanted gasses out and than, B you get all your fuel out, so that all that you have left is a empty tank with clean air. Might be wrong, I don't have that much nitro knowledge... but that's what I was told.

Tony

Staff member
On these new heli's, there is no reason to drain the fuel. Unless it's in a hot as hell environment and can build so much pressure that it will push all fuel out of the tank lmao.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
On these new heli's, there is no reason to drain the fuel. Unless it's in a hot as hell environment and can build so much pressure that it will push all fuel out of the tank lmao.

new heli's don't suffer from corrosion in the fuel lines, because of glow fuel?

Tony

Staff member
Corrosion in the fuel lines? They are silicone, they don't corrode. They do however break down and harden due to heat and exhaust fumes. Speaking of which, I should look at the lines inside my tank....

Top Bottom