450 Gaba goes stupid.... Destroys a 100 bucks of stuff

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
So yep..... I went utterly butterly stupid.. Made bad decisions one after the other and ended up with a big gash in the ceiling and 100 bucks worth of broken stuff ...

Rebuilt the warp with care and love. Wired it beautifully and got it all set. New motor , new esc.. New blades, new frame, new Bluetooth adapter for ikon... I mean everything redone.

Setup the governor and all goes well, esc abd ikon are talking to each other like buddy buddies. Programming done

And then I install the main head yoke and grips and hook up the swash and install the blades . Here happened my first mistake

Then I decided to give this thing a test hover in the sitting area.. It's a bigger place we moved into, I can totally hover a 450 size heli here.... Lets do it ..... Bad decision #2

So hook the sucker up, turn it on, blades start going and I see the heli sliding hard on its skids and being governed the heli is now at 2900rpm and sounds really loud with the scorpion motor and seems to be pushing down. I think to myself " I remember the swash moving the right direction... "

Bad decision #3 I hit throttle hold and slam the collextove stick down with it.... Well at this point all hell breaks loose

Heli jumps in a blink of an high with all it's might towards the ceiling and all I hear is a loud bang with no heli on ground and then the heli falls like a rock... With paint and drywall material raining down.

So what happened ... ? I hooked up the blade grips as trailing edge control rather than leading edge. Have been out of fixing heli for so long that as simple as this was, I didn't catch it when I was doing my pitches. I was looking at the degree value but never saw if it was positive or negative value.

Then bad decision was to even think its ok to hover this 450 in the house

Then a bad decision was when I already saw the heli pressing itself down, rather than slamming the stick, I could have kept 0 pitch and let the heli jump around may be but not fly off on me... Could have potentially hurt me... BAD!!!! But it didn't and I am thankful

Wall... Heli took a chunk out of the wall like 5 inches by 2 inches wide chunk is missing. You can imagine what the wife had to say about that. I was given an ear full. Lol

So what broke.. Ofcourse my confidence is hurt lol

Wall is hurt and needs to be fixed and is the highest priority for me now

Then the heli: new edge blades . Elevator servo stripped, swash plate broke, I think main head yoke...

So there it is ... Lesson learnt ... :(

EyeStation

Holy Crap! I can only imagine how long that felt like as it was happening. Good to see the human parts are still intact.

stokke

Sorry to hear it Gaba. Sometimes it's easy to forget stuff in the eagerness of flight LO: :D

Pics?

Lee

LOL :D I did the exact same thing last week. Lucky i was outside though. I realised my mistake in time and just switched the pitch setting in my radio. Flew perfectly. Got home and changed the blade grips round.
The next day i went to fly, but idiot me had forgotten to change the radio back too. Thing shot up in the air. Have you ever tried to get a heli back done when the pitch if reversed?? Well i did but pushed it into the ground a little hard, and cracked a skid LOL.
A bit of CA fixed that.
Oh and today i decided to cut the grass unintentionally. Been flying inverted so much lately, when i went to punch out from an upright hover, i gave it neg pitch DOH!!!!
Thing went into the ground pretty quick. Lucky for that long grass. Just pulled the grass off and flew again. :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
quit rubbing it in! :D :p hee hee JK
I can imagine the panic on the unintentional gras chop.. But yeah.. this wasnt fun for me haha

Bruno

That is tragic. Glad no injured body parts. I won't go into details but had a similar incident with mistaken IU mode in the office. Amazing how fast they seem to take off in small spaces.

Good luck with rebuild.

murankar

Staff member
Good thing it was just a wall and heli. When I set my exi up with the ct6b I accidentally reversed the throttle. I had t.h. on and once I set the setting the heli shot up the the ceiling.

Thank God your safe.

Whirlybird

Gaba, this must have been one of your "half awake" moments :yikes:

Fortunately, no blood was drawn!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Gaba, you, heli's and indoors do NOT mix. All I can picture is a cricket bat sitting in the corner of the room you are in. At least the gyro didn't end up on the wall... lmao. I joke because everyone is okay. But seriously, where was the cricket bat?

treff

Sorry to hear about your mishap coolgabsi but great to hear you also have all your body parts in working order LOL also thanks for the encouragement on my demise. I have not given up. I am just stepping back to look at where
I keep getting it wrong. Parts are on the way, so will rebuild and have another go. I use the simulator heli-x and I find that it's not like the real thing at all, no pressure of crashing. Anyway great to hear you survived and yet another member of this site has a big hole in the wall.
You and Westy should get the t-shirts printed LOL. Cheers

xokia

I did something like this with my trex 450. It's when I first got the thing and was still learning. I was trying to 0 in the pitch and level the swash. So I decided what the heck lets spin it up and check to see if the blades are tracking. I did this on my kitchen floor.....to make a long story short I didn't have the swash perfectly level and it tipped over. It chopped a huge chunk of flooring out of the floor and sent it towards the wife sitting on the couch in the living room. So I was up poo creak. All it did to the heli was rip the link apart luckily. So I am not allowed to spin up helis in the house anymore :)

At least it's only a mistake you make once.

Last edited:

treff

Yes Kev it forming in my mind that t-shirt, yes I can see it now, "The Hole in the Wall Gang" It's got that certain ring to it I think. International affiliation, as long as you put a hole in your own house with a heli.
I'm sure this is going to be big. We will have thousands looking into it ( excuse the pun) Thinking of signing up Bernard Cribbins but this will be lost on our USA friends. Slobberdog its over to you
to explain that point. Could be "A hole in One" possibilities are endless. Just send in your own ideas ( must be clean) wholesome (excuse my best pun). Cheers

john2012

Banned
darn dude that's bad news i even know not to try to fly a 450 sized heli indoors yes thats being just stupid and did you say twice this happened sorry about your luck gada good luck on the rebuild

PaulRC

So yep..... I went utterly butterly stupid.. Made bad decisions one after the other and ended up with a big gash in the ceiling and 100 bucks worth of broken stuff ...

Rebuilt the warp with care and love. Wired it beautifully and got it all set. New motor , new esc.. New blades, new frame, new Bluetooth adapter for ikon... I mean everything redone.

Setup the governor and all goes well, esc abd ikon are talking to each other like buddy buddies. Programming done

And then I install the main head yoke and grips and hook up the swash and install the blades . Here happened my first mistake

Then I decided to give this thing a test hover in the sitting area.. It's a bigger place we moved into, I can totally hover a 450 size heli here.... Lets do it ..... Bad decision #2

So hook the sucker up, turn it on, blades start going and I see the heli sliding hard on its skids and being governed the heli is now at 2900rpm and sounds really loud with the scorpion motor and seems to be pushing down. I think to myself " I remember the swash moving the right direction... "

Bad decision #3 I hit throttle hold and slam the collextove stick down with it.... Well at this point all hell breaks loose

Heli jumps in a blink of an high with all it's might towards the ceiling and all I hear is a loud bang with no heli on ground and then the heli falls like a rock... With paint and drywall material raining down.

So what happened ... ? I hooked up the blade grips as trailing edge control rather than leading edge. Have been out of fixing heli for so long that as simple as this was, I didn't catch it when I was doing my pitches. I was looking at the degree value but never saw if it was positive or negative value.

Then bad decision was to even think its ok to hover this 450 in the house

Then a bad decision was when I already saw the heli pressing itself down, rather than slamming the stick, I could have kept 0 pitch and let the heli jump around may be but not fly off on me... Could have potentially hurt me... BAD!!!! But it didn't and I am thankful

Wall... Heli took a chunk out of the wall like 5 inches by 2 inches wide chunk is missing. You can imagine what the wife had to say about that. I was given an ear full. Lol

So what broke.. Ofcourse my confidence is hurt lol

Wall is hurt and needs to be fixed and is the highest priority for me now

Then the heli: new edge blades . Elevator servo stripped, swash plate broke, I think main head yoke...

So there it is ... Lesson learnt ... :(

This is very similar to my very first heli (mcx). I done the same thing I spooled it up, and it shoot straight up the ceiling. No damage to the ceiling or the heli. But from there I learnt my lesson. Never spool up a heli when testing indoors. From then on, if ever I need to do testing indoors with my helis, I take out the Main blades. Or I clamp the heli down on a lazy susan. And I spool it up very very slowly. Always making sure it is zero pitch.

It happens to the best of us gaba. You just need to get back on the horse and bring your confidence back.

Slobberdog

Stambo you got bigger kahunas than I have, I got a 12 ft sq room and the noise of a 450 in there scares the hell out of me,

That was great control though........

Tony

Staff member
I used to hover my 450 in my living room just to run a battery down. It's intimidating to say the least, and I do NOT do it anymore nor do I suggest it lol. For obvious reasons.

xokia

I used to hover my 450 in my living room just to run a battery down. It's intimidating to say the least, and I do NOT do it anymore nor do I suggest it lol. For obvious reasons.

Yup to easy to step outside and do that. Now I just leave them on my charger in storage mode and let the charger drain them down. At 25w per channel dissapation it usually doesnt take to long.

Top Bottom