FBL Gyro Futaba GY401 DX8 Set Up - How To ??

MIGPILOT44

Hello all, I've been flying my TREX 500 on a Spektrum DX6i for some time now but recently upgraded to the DX8. I'm looking for some help setting up my Futaba GY401 gyro within the DX8. Preferably a video, if anyone knows where I can find one it would be a great help.

I've found the RC Help videos posted on Youtube a big help since getting into helicopters 3 years ago. I've flown planes for nearly 30 years and got a little bored. I'm a self taught heli pilot, the learning curve has been quite steep.

If anyone knows where I can get some help in this area it would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

Once you assign the Gyro switch to Gear, the only difference will be the %.
DX6I runs from 0% to 100% So for Head Hold, the normal starting point for gain settings is around 65%
DX8 runs from -100% to +100% So for Head Hold you would be starting around 30%

MIGPILOT44

Once you assign the Gyro switch to Gear, the only difference will be the %.
DX6I runs from 0% to 100% So for Head Hold, the normal starting point for gain settings is around 65%
DX8 runs from -100% to +100% So for Head Hold you would be starting around 30%

Thank you for the reply. My concern is that the gyro switch is a 3 position switch. In position 1 I have 70% in as the value, position 2 I have 30%, and position 3 I have zero. The light on the GY401 stays on in position 1 and 2, then goes off in position 3.

Are you saying that for heading lock position 1 I should start with positive 30%? Should position 2 be a negative number? My concern is that if by chance I accidently put the switch in position 3 that it will be in a position where the gyro is off resulting in a crash. I fly primarily in heading lock and don't move the switch much but this just doesn't sound like the best set up.

Thanks for the help!

Lee

What I do is decide what I think is a good % Say 25%
I will set 1 to 20% 2 to 25% and 3 to 30%
The I can test in one flight which seems to be the best.
If I have no negative tendencies with these values, then I will increase the percentages and fly again.
Once you have the perfect setting, to stop you making a mistake, set all the positions to the same % :)

I have mine Gyro % mixed to my Flight mode, because with different head speeds, I need different gain settings
Higher head speed = Lower gain setting
But don't worry about that at the moment.

MIGPILOT44

What I do is decide what I think is a good % Say 25%
I will set 1 to 20% 2 to 25% and 3 to 30%
The I can test in one flight which seems to be the best.
If I have no negative tendencies with these values, then I will increase the percentages and fly again.
Once you have the perfect setting, to stop you making a mistake, set all the positions to the same % :)

I have mine Gyro % mixed to my Flight mode, because with different head speeds, I need different gain settings
Higher head speed = Lower gain setting
But don't worry about that at the moment.

Ok Lee, this sounds much better. I will change my TX to the %'s you mentioned. This sounds quite logical and easy to get a decent setting to work from to get a stable tail. I haven't really explored the multiple flight modes but I do see the advantages. I'm not a 3d pilot by any means nor ever plan to be, I'm more into scale helis.

Thank you very much for the reply, I really appreciate your help!

Top Bottom