450 Futaba Antennae

Barge

I purchased a Futaba R6303SB Rx for the 450L, very small and light, I was curious as to the best way to have the antennas setup, being around 150mm (5.5in) long there not a lot of room to mount them at 90 degrees. I have mounted the 3GX on the bottom plate and the Rx on the plate behind the head on the top plate.

Has any one got any idea as the best way to do this?

Cheers

Barge

Since nobody uses Futaba here I come up with a pretty good system for the antennae, the build has gone really well, extremely happy with the 450L.

murankar

Staff member
Most of the people on here use specktrum. I know of one who uses Jr, a few pilots use th9x or tiranus.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

RandyDSok

Antenna's all use the same principle no matter what the brand... the way you place them is to optimize reception so when one is blocked from a particular direction, the other should still receive a signal. By also placing them at 90° angles... you also get some diversity with the polarity that the antenna's receive with.

Antenna like used on these are omni directional in a donut shaped field... if you've seen drawings of Earths magnetic field, you have an idea of how the field looks more or less... the poles of the Earth would be where the wire/antenna is at.

Metal and carbon fiber can block reception... so imagine where you would stand normally in relation to the model... and try to orient them so there is as little metal and carbon fiber between you and the model's antenna's most of the time.

Barge

Thanks for that info Randy, I new I was in trouble when I searched Futaba receivers and there was only 2 posts, compared to a few pages of the Spektrum variety. I like the Spectrum gear, a few pilots at the local club use them without any problems. The Futaba is hard work sometimes but I have had a great run out of the brand for a long time, and I really like the SBUS.

The image below shows where I'm heading with antennae, my plan is to purchase 2 more rudder control wire mounts an modify them t carry the top antennae, the one running down the side plate will be in a plastic tube held by a couple of small saddle clamps I have. The important part to keep in line of sight to the Tx is the 30mm of exposed wire on the ends.

DSC_0969.JPG

RandyDSok

Technically... the exposed portion IS the antenna... the other portion is the coax lead up to it.

Program-wise... it doesn't matter to me, Spectrum, JR, Futaba, Hitec ( or other ) radio... they all have a learning curve and I don't find one easier/harder than the other. As for problems seen on them... after I've seen at least 5 times that Spectrum's had either brown outs or were adversely affected by interference... I wouldn't use one on my own models. In fact, Tony has a video on here somewhere of one of his models getting "hit" by that interference at the field we were both members of.

Top Bottom