450 Futaba 18mz With Align 3gx Setup

infernorcteam

I have tried everything I can think of to figure this out. In my radio I've tried multiple swash type settings with no luck. The closest I've gotten is H-3 with 120* swash. The problem I have is when the pitch servo isn't moving when I give aileron inputs. All three servos work properly when collective is applied but not the cyclic. I've worked on this thing for days and ready crush it!!!

3GX version 5.0 is currently loaded up. I've tried multiple versions. I've checked servo reversing to confirm proper direction.

Tony

Staff member
Because the 3GX is getting old and worn out, lets try some testing first before we do anything else.

First, lets swap the aileron and pitch servo on the 3GX. If the issue follows to the aileron servo, then you know it is either in the gyro or the Tx.

The swash type should be 3 servo, 120º for the 3GX.

Also, are you using multiple wires to control it, or are you just using one wire (pwm I think, I have only used satellites so I can't remember what the single wire is called lol).

infernorcteam

I just switched the aileron with the pitch servo. Now only the pitch servo is working and the aileron is still. I have 3 servo 120* swash loaded. I'm using multiple colored wires.

Tony

Staff member
More than likely, if both are giving you the exact same results, then it is definitely going to be a Tx issue. I'm not that familiar with the Futaba Tx but I think @Geena is and maybe she can help out in this thread.

Do you have a monitor function in your Tx? If so, fire it up and watch the aileron, elevator and swash when you move the sticks.

infernorcteam

I just opened the monitor function. Its displaying aileron and pitch moving but the pitch servo is not physically moving like the monitor is displaying.

Tony

Staff member
That is telling me that it is somewhere in the mixing function then. If you have a swash menu, maybe look in there and see if there is a setting that might be halting that movement. Man I wish I had one of those Tx so I could help more lol.

Geena

Staff member
More than likely, if both are giving you the exact same results, then it is definitely going to be a Tx issue. I'm not that familiar with the Futaba Tx but I think @Geena is and maybe she can help out in this thread.

Do you have a monitor function in your Tx? If so, fire it up and watch the aileron, elevator and swash when you move the sticks.
I do have experience with the 14SG, but unfortunately, that won`t transfer over to the 18MZ. The 18MZ, is way different from the 14SG, and I have not had the chance to dig into the 18. If you suspect it`s a transmitter setting, I would delete that model, and start over with a fresh setup. I know it`s a pain to do that. But it might be the simple solution.

Smoggie

If the Tx monitor is indicating that it's sending out a signal to move the pitch servo, but the pitch servo does not in fact move, then i'd expect that the 'fault' is in the 3GX settings or in how the Rx is wired to the 3GX?

infernorcteam

I’m wondering if the 18MZ just isn’t compatible with the 3GX. I’ve searched and searched. It doesn’t seem that many people have experimented with the two systems together.

I don’t feel it’s the 3GX system as I mentioned earlier, I have two of them and both give me the same results. The TX is set to HR-3 and has been deleted and restarted multiple times. I’m ready to cut my losses with the 3GX.

Can you guys recommend a unit that will work with my system? Thank you for all your help.

Tony

Staff member
My go to gyro for flybarless is the Ikon2. Very easy to setup and just flat works when you need it to work.

And good call canning the 3GX. Their age is showing and more things are starting to go wrong with them.

Smoggie

My personal favourite is the Spirit Pro. Ideally whatever new FBL you get you would want an Rx that has S-bus output so you can connect it to the FBL by single wire.

infernorcteam

S.Bus is not a problem. I actually started with an S.Bus receiver and when the 3GX did not respond, I went to a non S.Bus setup but now even that has proven not to work.

Thank you for the advice, I’ll look at the two systems you guys suggested and see if I can find any incompatibility issues with those two and my radio before I decide.

Smoggie

To be honest it's hard to think of how it could be an incompatibility between the Futaba system and the 3GX. If you are using the standard multi wire output then it's outputting a universal industry standard PWM signal, exactly the same as any other receiver outputs.

infernorcteam

In HR3 mode the pitch servo does not move equal to the aileron servo when left and right aileron is applied. It moves very little in comparison to the aileron servo. When collective is input, all 3 servos function correctly and don’t display any issues.

The other issue I have is when I apply collective to achieve my 12* settings, the swash plate wanders around ever slow slightly but is enough to give a several degree change in my pitch.

I’m completely lost because all other settings in my radio aside from the HR3 are set to INH so I just can’t see why I get the same results with two separate 3GX units and multiple restarts on my profile setup in my TX.

Smoggie

In the Tx the throw of each swash servo can be adjusted using the 'AFR' function. For a 120 Deg swash the values should all be equal, maybe worth checking that they are?

ScreenHunter_29 May. 17 21.28.jpg

infernorcteam

I really appreciate your help. I’ve played with that function for hours. 50, 50, 50 is the default and it doesn’t make a difference when I utilize aileron. I can honestly say that I’ve invested 12 hours into what should have taken me 30 minutes at most.

I’ve set up several nitro helis in the past and never had issues like this. The radio is new so I initially thought it was a lack of familiarity with it but after the amount of time I’ve messed with this thing I don’t think that’s the case. Hell, I’ve charged this radio 3-4 times just in this setup process and haven’t flown a single thing with it.

Smoggie

I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be. Maybe it is time to ditch the 3GX. Like Tony said, they are long in the tooth and always were 'fussy' at the best of times.

All other modern FBL dont require any swash mixing in the Tx, it's all done in the FBL which makes things easier.

Tony

Staff member
When you are talking about the pitch change at full collective, are you in DIR mode? If not, the 3GX, especially V4 and V5 have an issue like this if you still have the gyros active.

And there should be a swash function on your Tx where you see aileron, elevator and pitch. A and E will adjust mas throws of your cyclic and pitch will adjust the max throw of hte collective. At least on Spektrum this is how you adjust full and negative pitch...

Top Bottom