600 Freewheel

DAL2855

Banned
What is the deal with the freewheel setting on this YEP 100a ESC? Do I need this turned off if I have the governor enabled? What does it do? Will it hurt to have it enabled along with the governor?

Tony

Staff member
Active Freewheel is basically just allowing the voltage in the ESC and motor to run in a circle until it's bleed off at partial throttle. It can keep your ESC cooler if you fly at partial throttle most of the time. However, if you notice surges, then you need to turn it off. If you can get it to work, then you can hopefully lower the heat produced. Basically, instead of the current passing through a diode, it will instead pass through another FET which has less voltage loss and thus, less heat.

It's complicated to explain, but turn it on and if you see surging, turn it off. Make sure it's not your GOV causing the surging (hunting).

DAL2855

Banned
I played around with it earlier, and yeah upon spool up it surges really bad with it enabled. Doesn't do this with it disabled, so guess I need to disable it again.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, surging is bad as it will actually create more heat than with it turned off.

DAL2855

Banned
I disabled the Freewheel last night Tony, and it's still surging when I first start the spool up so I guess it's the governor doing the surging and not the freewheel. So would I be safe to turn it back on?

heli-maniac

On the Big Helis its going to surge on spool up The esc pulses the motor to get the blades spinning to keep from over loading it
Also in the N mod your not using a flat TH curve so it dosent see a rpm to stay at

DAL2855

Banned
Oh ok, so then when I go into ID1 and ID2 it's not going to do this Jesse? Now this was without blades installed as I haven't ordered my new blades yet, I don't know if that really makes a difference or not. But did not notice this surging when I had the blades installed on it before.

heli-maniac

Yes it should not do it when You go to id1 or 2 My 550 dose it on spool up till the blades get to spinning then it flattens out

DAL2855

Banned
Ok, next question, should I run the gov in the ESC or should I run the gov in the Ikon when I get it installed? Since the Ikon would have the RPM sensor that would attach onto two of the motor wires? It would be more accurate correct? Or not?

heli-maniac

Im not saying you cant use the one in the Ikon Im just saying from what i have seen they use the esc on elec.
With the Ikon you can put in a set number
But ill stick to letting the ESC do its thing . that way if it tries to fail then I dont have to hunt down if its the controller or the esc

DAL2855

Banned
Ah ok, I think I will try both and see which one I like better, since the sensor is only like 5.00 plus shipping.

Tony

Staff member
If I had known this was on spool-up I would have said the exact same thing as Jesse, he is correct. The surging that I was mentioning is when you are in a stable hover or just flying around at partial throttle. It has to do with the PWM frequency and how the FET's turn on and off. On spoolup, it's normal. And I would use the ESC on an electric as well if it works. No sense in spending money on something else when one thing works just fine.

DAL2855

Banned
I just thought maybe since it would actually have the RPM sensor that it would be more accurate and be able to more consistently hold the particular HS Tony. Is why I was considering going ahead and getting the RPM sensor for the Ikon. And sense it's so cheap to get, I thought I would go ahead and get it and try them both and see which one I liked better. And which one is more stable in flight.

pvolcko

Ikon gov will be a bit better. Not because of the sensor really. The external sensor you will have to install is basically the same thing that's integrated into the ESC which it uses in order to detect pole/phase position and perform advance timing. The benefit comes from the fact the ikon knows it's about to inject a lot of collective or cyclic change which will load the motor differently. An ESC governor can only react to these changes in torque loading by realizing after the fact that the RPMs have dropped off and then try to compensate. The Ikon gov (or any in-controller gov for that matter) will preemptively dial in a proportional boost of power in order to head off rotor head speed loss due to the increased torque load (or if coming out of high torque into low torque, do the opposite and dial back the throttle). It will then use the same kind of algorithm as the ESC gov to home in on the correct throttle setting to maintain set RPM.

Think of it like a cruise control on your car. You start going up a hill with cruise control on, it will drop speed a bit until it realizes it needs to increase throttle to maintain speed under a higher load. But if you are driving and controlling the gas, you know you're going to go up the hill so you feed a bit of throttle just as you hit the hill in order to maintain speed the entire time. The ESC is like the cruise control, it is missing information and can only respond after conditions have changed enough to warrant it. The Ikon is driving the car and knows what it needs right as it is making the load change, so it will handle the changes faster and maintain headspeed better.

Not a perfect analogy. The ikon gov is a cruise control too, just one with more information than the ESC so it is able to react more aggressively to cyclic and pitch changes to maintain better headspeed control.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
+1 on this.. predictive governing is much better than reactive.. You can actually see the predictive governing at work in the ikon when you take the blades off and do a spool up on the bench.. the rpm adjusts with stick movement.. you go FAST to collective high. the rom overshoots to prevent bog under your governed rpm.. WHile ESC will sit there dumb ... till it sees a bog after the load is applied, and say OHH i need to add power.

on my 700 (and I am not a smack 3D guy) on high gain with esc governor (castle at the time) .. I saw the heli drop a TON of rpm which was also recorded on the castle log cause I punched it too hard doing a pitch stop. I heard it slow down.. I immediately installed Ikon governor on it.. and whoalla!!! rpm stays put and I can fine tune the governor if needed.. default settings work just fine. but always need to tune that overal gain .. I almost always have to take it higher.

one thing.. now I know this doesnt apply to you .. but Phoenix edge esc from castle.. they actually have an AUX cable coming out of the esc which can be configured to send rpm to the IKON.. so no sensor required! :D I did this on my warp! so happy! :D

DAL2855

Banned
Ok so then I will be getting the sensor and using the Ikon governor then! Thanks Gaba! That was exactly what I was thinking would happen! I am wanting the RPM's to stay constant, and with the ESC Gov, it can't do it as easily or efficiently.

Top Bottom