Quad FPV with my BlueSkyRC Spider Quad

Tasajara

Here are a few videos I have done flying my FPV Spider Quad from BlueSkyRC.

I now use Graupner 10x5 Elektro Props , they are much stiffer and make the quad run smoother. Less vibration along with cooler motor temps.
I had one of the Gemfan props break in mid flight. So it was time for a change on my high dollar quads and hexa. I still use the gemfan props on my sport stuff and home made quads.
Here is what it looks like when the prop breaks in flight.
You can see the vibration and louder prop noise.

Here is my Quad and ground station...

09-FPVSpiderQuad.jpg
2012-04-07_19-18-11_470.jpg
2012-04-07_19-18-59_311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That last video sucked lol. too bad about the quad, but the other two videos are great. I really need to build one of these and join the quad crowd.

Tasajara

Thanks guys.... The crash was before the first 2 videos.. :) The only thing that got hurt in the crash was the frame. I got one on thur. and had it flying again on sat.

As far as the glasses go it's not to bad. The only thing I have trouble with is my landings. On take-offs, As you can see I like to punch it . It just is better for me to get on up in the air flying.
I get moving forward and it all ok from there . Have a spotter to help on the first few flights, until you get the hang of it.

Tony

Staff member
back me up if this is correct, but get used to the quad or plane first to know what it's going to do, then get the goggles and try that. You want to do it on something stable first, and not something like a P-51 lol. Slow and easy. Hey I know, you should donate one to me hahaha.

Tasajara

Yep that is the way to go... slow and stable... don't forget a spotter.... They can help guide you till you get the hang of it...
Not to sure about the donate part never tried that. :highly_amused:

Tasajara

Yeah they are fun... I am working on my Micro Quad.
I just soldered up a MultiWii control board to go on it.
I got the Wii motion plus from my son... he want miss it LOL
Here is what I have got so far.
for some reason I couldn't upload the pic.... so here are 2 links...
MultiWii
BlueSkyRC Micro Quad

And another FPV flight... :friendly_wink:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah we are having an upload issue right now with all browsers except IE9. For all other browsers, just click the bottom right "Basic Uploader" and it will work. We are working on the issue.

Tasajara

Did another FPV flight, it was pretty windy but it was still a fun flight...

Tony

Staff member
Why am I the only one without a quad lol. I want one of these. Okay, lets say I was wanting to build a "budget" quad. What would your parts list be?

Tasajara

Here you go...
Frame - xRotor Spider Quad - BlueSkyRC

Motors - you can go 2 different ways.
924kv - will let you swing 10x5 props
1200-1300kv will be 8x4.5
I have the KDA20-22L 924 kv from Monto RC hobby
or you can get the Suppo 2212-11 - 1200kv from BlueSkyRC.com
either one will work good. I do like the bolt on prop adapter of the KDA2022L. No chance for the collet to slip or come off. If using a stander collet press fit style. Just put a drop of blue lock tight on the shaft before putting the adapter on and it will stay put.;)

ESC - 2 ways to go here You can get some that are pre programed for Multi Rotor or just program them yourself.
These are pre programed to suit multi rotors Next Level 20 Amp Multi-Rotor ESC

These are cheaper but you will need to set them for a multi rotor.
HW 25A Brushless Motor Speed Controller ESC

Programmable ESC 20A Brushless Motor Speed Controller

The setting for the esc are:
Brake : No
Battery Type: NI-xx
Cut off: Soft
Cut off Voltage: Low
Start Mode : Normal
Timing: Middle
Governor: Off

Using the Ni-Cad cut off will keep you from having a motor cut off a 9 volts.
So you need to add a Lipo Buzzer to let you know when the battery gets to 9.9 volts. They plug into the balance plug. And are pretty loud.
You can pick them up at Hobby King Or eBay this one is louder...

This is the type program card to use... You can find this style all over HK,eBay ect
Hobbywing Program Card for Aircraft & Heli ESC

Control board - KKmulticontroller V5.5 Controller Board
Or get one for HobbyKing
You can also get one closer in the US that is $5 cheaper KK Compatible Multi-Rotor Control Board (Blue Ver. 2.5 Firmware)

Another good choice would be to get this all in one bundle while it is on sale. It would be easy to get this one going in one day.

Quadrotor RM450V2 Set this would get you flying for under $150 less shipping. All you would need is the control board from Value Hobby in the US.

I can help you with the programing of the KK style boards. You would need a USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors you can also find them on ebay it will cost a little more but want have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for it to get here, Just make sure it has a 10 pin to 6 pin cable.

Hope this helps.... if you have any questions just let me know..

Last edited:
Top Bottom