Setups FPV Video Goggle Suggestions

Derek

I am very close to getting a set of video goggles....finally. I've been looking very hard at the Fatsharks. I'm interested in hearing thoughts and opinions from others that have Fatsharks. I seem to remember that Lee ordered a set of Dominator HD goggles. I don't want to pay $550 for those, lol. I've seen listings for the Dominators, Predators, and Attitudes.

What are your thoughts on these different goggles?

I've never seen a set of Fatsharks, up close, but I'm assuming that I can simply plug the A/V cables, from my 1.3ghz vrx, into the Fatsharks.

SIXFOOTER

I ordered Dominators, I liked the "Modularity" of the system, seemed to make sense to a guy that has never put on a pair.

Derek

What do you mean, "Modularity"? I've not had a set of goggles either so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

Lee

I have the Domintors not the HD Derek.
They def the best bang for your buck.
Image quality is fantastic.
Modular means they have the option to install an RX or use an external one.
Fatshark make a 5.8 and 2.4 RX module that plugs straight in, but you can pick up one of these for 1.3 Only Flying Machines | Worlds First 3 Channel 1.3ghz Video Receiver for FatShark Goggles
Not sure on the quality of this but not having bundles of wires hanging of the side of your face is really nice :)

Derek

Thanks for your thoughts, Lee! I just mentioned that you had the HD goggles because I thought I remembered seeing a thread from you that said that you ordered the HD goggles. No big deal.

So, you have the Dominators and you like them. That's awesome! I think the Dominators are less expensive than the Predators and I think I remember seeing the Attitudes near $400...maybe a bit more.

I wonder if you might do a favor for me, Lee. I'd appreciate it. Would you mind making a bit of a video for me that shows the Dominator goggles? I'm just trying to understand where, and how, the video cable connects to the goggles. Also during the video, maybe give me a bit of a "showing" of the goggles...for example: turning them on and off and any other thoughts of yours that would help set me at ease.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back in February, I did purchase a "plug and play" 1.3ghz 400mw video system. Just today, I finally got around to giving it the first plugged in test. It is very easy to work with and I'm very impressed with the camera that came with the setup. Now, I just need to get a tripod ground station built up. I need to get the tx and camera mounted on a pod of some sort to be installed on my fpv plane (or my upcoming tricopter). Then I also need to get the goggles and I'll be in good shape.

Lee

If you can go on Skype in the next 5 mins i will show you everything.
I'm online now.

Derek

I'm sorry I can't get on Skype right now. I'm using my laptop right now and it's an older and much slower laptop. Skype doesn't work very well at all on this laptop. I do have Skype on my home PC but my home PC is still in my daughters room and she's asleep. Bummer.

I have to work the next two days so there is no rush on my video request. Hopefully you can do it for me. If not, it's no problem.

Lee

Already made the video. Should be uploaded to youtube in a few minutes. I'm off to work now, so check my youtube channel in a while.

Derek

Outstanding! I just looked at the video that you uploaded. You helped answer several questions.

I've heard that some goggles are a bit fuzzy at the edges, you said that the Dominators are clear at the edges.

I wanted to see where the cords plug into for my external vrx, you showed it.

I've seen the video that alishanmo uploaded about the 1.3ghz rx for Fatsharks. It's pretty cool how you can just unplug on vrx and install another.

I didn't know that there was the other compartment for a head tracker..you showed that.

I could also hear a tone in your voice while you were talking about the goggles. It really sounds like you enjoy the quality of the Fatshark Dominators. Yes, there are other goggles on the market and many of them are much better...but they also come with a higher price tag. $$$$$$

I appreciate that you took the time to share your goggles with me, Lee. It really helped a lot. Thank you!

I'm going to add the link to your video to this thread, just in case someone else has curiosities, too.

Dominator goggles - YouTube

pvolcko

I'm doing research on this same area, Derek.

Anyone here try the FoxTech SkyZone FPV goggles? How do they compare to the fatsharks? I've watched a few reviews and comparisons on youtube and it seems they're pretty impressive, and the foxtech receivers seem to better than the immersionRC/FatShark VRX's.

Stambo

The Skyzone goggles have diversity but also cover the 2 different sets of 5.8 frequencies however you already have 1.3 gear so they are probably overkill for your application.
I have the predators and I like them, but I have not tried anything else.
I bought them as a kit but if I did it again I would probably shop around for individual components.
From what I have seen and looking at specs, my preference would probably be Skyzone then Dominator.
Dominator HD would be really nice but way off my price point at the moment.
Heres a quick review/comparison of a few.

SkyZone FPV glasses/goggles (versus FatShark) - YouTube

Derek

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! You've definitely given me something to think about.

WyDiablo

Well I went with the fatshark predators mainly because of the cost at the time and I also got them in a bundle package with a low price. I have looked thru the dominators and I can't really teel any difference between the two. I have only done 2 flights in FPV with goggles so I"m no where near a pro at FPV. But I sill like my predators.

Stambo

Well I went with the fatshark predators mainly because of the cost at the time and I also got them in a bundle package with a low price. I have looked thru the dominators and I can't really teel any difference between the two. I have only done 2 flights in FPV with goggles so I"m no where near a pro at FPV. But I sill like my predators.

Nothing wrong with the predators, I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment from them.
The only reason I would upgrade from mine would be if they had a problem or I won a lottery. :)

Top Bottom