Setups FPV Setup in near future

Derek

Awesome! I certainly can't give a real good opinion because I've not yet flown FPV. I was just mentioning what I've read.

To fly FPV on the 5.8ghz system...do you have to have the HAM license?

Lee

That set up from RMRC is almost the same. Just the goggles are an earlier model. Wider field of view, but lower quality picture,

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Awesome! I certainly can't give a real good opinion because I've not yet flown FPV. I was just mentioning what I've read.

Not that I know of. You have to check local requirements. But the power used in these systems is so low that no one going to bother you anyways. If your going to set up a long range set up then you might have issues with the ham license.

- - - Updated - - -

That set up from RMRC is almost the same. Just the goggles are an earlier model. Wider field of view, but lower quality picture,

Lee the goggles pictured in the ad are not the current ones used. That system has the Dominators in it now. Or you can substitute predators and save a little cash.

Tasajara

For license free use in the USA, the video Tx's Effective Radiated Power is less than 1mW (.001W) and the Tx must have a valid FCC Part 15 Reg ID label on it. Otherwise, it will need to conform to the amateur radio rules.
This includes 900MHz,2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz
If you get a ham license is all up to you.

Last edited:

Derek

I have no issues with wanting to get the Technician's License...however, I've done some searches for places that offer the test near me....the only results are more than 100 miles away. Ugh!!!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Derrick do you know what's involved in getting a ham license? If its like a radio operators you need to learn Morse code. Both sending and receiving. Plus much more. It's not just go sign up and get it! It's a written test plus! So it might not be so easy has you think.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok so I've done some checking. The FCC eliminated the Moore code test in 2007 so that makes it some what easer! Lol still though your going to have to study for the test.

Derek

Yes, you are right....the Morse Code portion was eliminated.

Yes, you are right again....there will be some studying needed to get the Technician License, which is what's needed as a minimum for legal FPV usage. There is alot of online help that I've found and I've been going over it for the past several months (off and on, of course, lol). I have a friend that took the test. He said that it's a 35 question test and you can fail 9 questions. That's really not that bad. We'll have to wait and see what happens and I'll share my experience later on.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The only problem with screens is in bright sunlight you'll have a hard time seeing it. You have to build a booth to put the screen in so yu can see it. I much prefer goggles!

wolfman76

it looked like it already had the lil booth thingy on it... i will probably go with the goggles though

Tony

Staff member
FWIW, I will be going with goggles when I get into it. saves on a LOT of equipment. However, your range is pretty short with ONLY using the goggles with built in Tx. There are ways to hook it up to a big Tx though in the future when you want to spy on the next state lmao.

Lee

Goggles all the way. I was out today flying my QAV500 for the first time in a few months. Love it.
That HD camera is getting good reviews though. I would like to pick one of those up.

Tasajara

+1 Goggles... It gives you a better feel that you are riding on your plane and or quad... They can be used with any size TX and RX no limit...
Even though I will be adding a screen to my Ground station for bystanders to watch....LCD 8" or 10"

Derek

That's exactly what I want to do. I want the goggles for myself and have a smaller monitor so that my wife can see what I see, as well.

Tony

Staff member
+1 Goggles... It gives you a better feel that you are riding on your plane and or quad... They can be used with any size TX and RX no limit...
Even though I will be adding a screen to my Ground station for bystanders to watch....LCD 8" or 10"

I should have clarified. I was talking about the goggles that have the built in Tx. I know you can hook them up and ONLY use the video feed but something like the fatshark goggles that are all in one have no AV box on a ground station, only in the goggles.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I should have clarified. I was talking about the goggles that have the built in Tx. I know you can hook them up and ONLY use the video feed but something like the fatshark goggles that are all in one have no AV box on a ground station, only in the goggles.

That's not quite right bro. The fat sharks that have the built in RX, the RX is just a pugin module. You still have av plugs in them. There is a panel, one on either side. One is for an RX and the other is for the OSD.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at this picture of the dominator goggles. You can see the two panels in the corners tat you remove and insert the boards fir the RX! These are the goggles that Lee and I have. I ave the RX for the giggles and a compete diversity system that I currently use. I haven't had time to set up the wireless system yet. But Lee and others swear by them!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lee

The internal RX with a 600mW TX is good for a couple of miles, which is a huge range for any FPV pilot, and for the beginner, 200m feels like miles away. I started with the Dominator goggles and a separate Chinese RX/TX that worked very well, but i wanted the simplicity of the internal set up with no cables hanging around. The two panels on the goggles are for the TX and the Head tracking system if you want that.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ya Lee sorry bout that. Your right head tracker. I new I was not saying the right thing but I was tired! Lol

Top Bottom