Four brushless motor in one plane.

Paul C

I am building a plane that uses four .15 to.25 glow plug motors and want to change it to brushless motors. It uses a 9 x 5 3 blade prop. The question is do I use four ESC, two ESC or one? Do I use one flight battery or two? I've seen wiring both ways.

cml001

Welcome! Repost this in the planes section so more folks will see it... I haven't the slightest on a conversion... Sounds like a math project to me! Lol love to see pics of this project tho... How big'a'bird is she?

pvolcko

I thought you had to use one ESC per motor. The potential phasing problems, even with 4 matched motors, seems like you'd run into speed control problems if you had multiple on a single ESC.

Flight batteries are another matter. I'm not sure what kind of voltage and power capacity you're needing but the answer is you can do either as your needs require. Space restriction and/or weight distribution may benefit from a two battery setup.

*** Warning: I may be totally wrong with what follows ***

For a .25 I/C (17000RPM max) x 4 equivalent you're looking at a total of around 1800 Watts of electric motor, 450W per motor. At 4s (14.8-16.8v max, 1250kv motor) that's 26A per motor.

And here is where my airplane knowledge starts to become limiting... I don't know what kind of throttle one normally runs at while flying. At full tilt for 10 minutes (not reasonable, unless you're talking a speed demon or a 3D machine, probably), that's 4333mAh capacity usage and you'd need to go with 4 such batteries. In that case it would probably make sense to switch to a 6S setup, select different motors, etc. My guess is that normal flight would be more like, on average, 1/3 of full. That's ~1500mAh in 10 minutes. x4 is 6000mAh ($85 buddyrc.com), split into two packs is ~3000mAh for two packs in parallel ($43 x2). For a cushion I'd actually go with two 4000mAh packs ($52 x 2). This will either handle higher average throttle or it will extend your flight time. You could even go with 2 6000mAh packs in parallel if needed for flight times.

I now await someone who knows planes to chime in. :)

And I now see this is in new member intros. Welcome. Hopefully a mod can copy/move this into the appropriate section.

Top Bottom