Forum Performance, Feedback Needed

tricky1400

hi Tony great site , i use IE9 and dont have any problems , not been flying for a while as the weather here in the UK is not so good at the mo with strong winds and heavy rain , I do tend to go online more often when i have been out flying as thats usually when i need help :)

great site , keep up the good work and a happy new year to you all

thanks Rich

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Rich. IE9 is what I use as well and is what I base everything off of. I do have FireFox as well, and Paul is using Chrome I think. So we try to do as much testing as we can when we make any changes. I'm glad that this site is working so well for everyone. I was a little worried about it. But I guess those worries went to waste. If there is anything that we can help out with, just let us know. there is usually always someone here to help out.

murankar

Staff member
Actually there are only a few browsers that you need to test with. IE9 is first, most people use it and it does not follow W3C standards to a T. Followed By Firefox this browsers is growing fast in userr base, it is a W3C compliant browser (this also includes chrome). Chrome is based on Firefox to some extent. Your next browser should be Safari, cant forget those folks over at apple, From what I know of Safari is that it does follow W3C standards.

IE issues that kills development is, not all versions of IE are the same. Just because it works in IE9 does not mean it will work in IE8 or lower. Also You may have to write more code to work around these issues, which will extend your development time. IE has been the biggest headache for most developers, all I can say is good luck with it.

I do use the Web developer tool bar for firefox and it is showing some errors in CSS (to many to count) and javascript(4 errors). These errors are based on the W3C standard and maybe needed to work in IE. That's what makes development so difficult now days.

Outside the lesson though everything seems to be working just fine here at my end. I am tethered to my phone via wireless and almost no speed issues. Most of my speed issues are caused by 3G not the site. Nothing can be done about that part other than using a DSL or Cable service which I can not afford. Some things in Korea cost more and that is one of them.

Anyhow I hope this helps?

Last edited:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Great update ... we appreciate it. As for Chrome, I'm pretty sure it's its own beast. I don't think Google would put out something which is based off of some other browser and nowhere in the documentation (on the Chromium project website) could I find anything which stated it is based off of Mozilla. It is, however, open source. Sounds like you've been around the block once or twice before ... maybe we can talk shop sometime :D

murankar

Staff member
I thought that at one time it was, I may have read something wrong IDK. My degree is going to be in web content development and I have three classes left for my assoc. I have been struggling with all the browsers out there and it hard to keep up. For development I stick to IE, Firefox and Safari, although I do have Opera installed also. My main browser since it released id Firefox. When it come to developing Dreamweaver has a compatibility tool which will analyze your site for the main browsers. If it finds errors it, it will inform you of what it is and kind of how to fix it. Unfortunately no matter how hard you try IE will prevent your pages from validating with W3C validators for the most part. Like I said IE is a beast to code for, Dreamweaver CS5 will make it a bit easier. Also the web dev tool bar for chrome and firefox will help a lot. Happy Flying and coding.

Last edited:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Yup, I use DW5 as well. It seems to work pretty well. Chrome has a feature where you can inspect the elements of a webpage. It comes in really handy in seeing what code is screwing you up where.

murankar

Staff member
I use firebug, firePhp and a few others. In todays pages you really need to see what the page is doing as it loads. ESp when you add scripts life javascript and php. There is a lot one has to learn in order to be successful as a designer. I chose the content developer side. I mostly work with the content anything from text to multimedia.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Very kewl. Keep us informed of how things are going. I may need to ask you questions in the future as well. For coding web content, I'm pretty much self taught (which means I know enough to get by, lol). I've had a lot more to do with the back side of UNIX servers and such (Solaris/IRIX).

murankar

Staff member
I will do the best I can to assist, I too am home taught. What couple classes I had were a couple years ago and I have not had the time to keep up with it. I also have been focusing my time on Ruby on Rails and I am finding it be a lot nicer and it has a huge learning curve. As long as you understand programing RoR is not really that difficult. Any how I will do what I can to help.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
The forum works great!! There is one probblem though. I'm using the forum on a Kindle Fire and the chat bar at the bottom of the screen sometimes appears in the middle of the screen. This sometimes gets in the way of the text. But on the desktop, there are no issues!

murankar

Staff member
I have the same issue on my Samsung Nexus S 3g phone. Javascript does not play well on mobile devices. I do not know of a solution to it at this point.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, I'm really enjoying the first days finding my way around the site and reading up on issues. Two suggestions:

1. Check out the autocapitalization Settings, doesn't seem any logic there (unless it's different with U.S. English :biggrin1:)

2. It's a bit overwhelming to see hundreds of threads going back to "beginning", maybe set the Default for 45 Days and let us go further back if we want.

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Staff member
There isn't any auto capitalization here on the forum. That would be on your computer, or in chrome/firefox. And I will talk to the staff about limiting the time for posts, but I can almost bet this won't be changed. If it's hidden, then the search engines can't find it when people are searching for a solution to an issue. and if they don't find it, they don't come here.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, thanks for the Feedback (so quick). I'll look into Point 1. No Problem with Point 2, I'll choose the threads each time.

Back to Tennis final.

Heliman450

Hi again Tony, I found out how to limit my own number of displayed threads in the Settings area. I've picked the last year, looks better now. I'll stick with this for a while until I can catch up some more on what's in here.

Bye for now,

Heliman450

Top Bottom