450 Flying sky high

mousie

Ok guys, been flying for a couple years now. Does anybody fly very high hovers.I tried a few times but just cant seem to hold position or see if its drifting one way or the other.Trying to get some good still pictures of my house and surrounding areas. Was up today about 150 foot when I lost orientation and it went down in the swamp.Very glad I had my lost model finder on it as it went completely under snow and I could hear a faint beep and luckily found it a short time later.

Derek

I have a scratch built motorglider that I love to take out on semi windy to windy days. It measures out at 47" long and 60" wingspan. I like to take it up about 75' or so and hold it in a hover, but it is tricky. You have to make sure that your settings are "just right" and that your servo throws aren't to sensitive. Even just the smallest wrong stick input will yank you right out of the hover....in the winds, of course.

now...keep in mind...I am still quite the "rookie", myself and I'm still learning as I go. However...this motorglider does really well in 10-15mph winds and I can hold it in a hover for short bits of time.

Glad to hear that you had the "lost model finder" so that you could recover the plane from the snow.

mousie

Iam flying a 450 clone trex not a airplane.When I hover at low altitude like out in front of me it still wants to drift one way or the other.My swash is level and pitch is set up correct.Fine trimmed it,Is this just common with helies? Or should it go back to a steady hover after letting the cyclics go back to center?

Derek

My apologies. I didn't look to see that you posted this in the "450 Heli" section.

Rc Helicopters can be pretty tricky to hover in one location...especially a 450 sized heli....especially at some serious altitude. Ya see...a good helicopter hover relies alot on the skills of the pilot. 450's are a bit twitchy to begin with. You have to see that the helicopter is holding at a particular location, then you have to see that the heli is being acted on by the wind (for example) then you have to be able to quickly, and yet gently, give the appropriate counter input to keep the heli in the position that you want. Helicopters, even full scale helicopters, will have a natural tendency to want to wander. It's just the "nature of the beast."

I have to give you alot of credit for taking your 450 heli up to 150 feet and trying to hold it steady. I imagine it will just take alot of practice to get the results that you want.

I probably haven't been a whole lot of help, but I wanted to try. Hopefully your heli survived the fall, with minimal damage and hopefully you can try again. Maybe practice at lower altitudes...50-100' and work your way up. It's gonna be a real chore to see your 450 at that height and then to be able to react to what the heli is doing in order to keep it where you want it.

Good luck!!!

murankar

Staff member
Helis need constant input at all times to maintain a good hover. Even at 15 to 30 feet up I still have that same issue. Of course I only fly 3 packs a week if I am luck. this last month has been a nightmare with mother nature.

Tony

Staff member
As stated above, every CCPM heli will drift if left alone unless you are using some kind of flight controller that has GPS built in. And really the only way you are going to get stable pictures from a heli is with a gyro corrected gimble system, and those are for 700 size birds or bigger. But, it could be done on a smaller heli, just one of those "luck of the draw" things. Best of luck to ya.

Lee

If you are wanting shots of your house at a reasonable price without losing control, the best option is a multirotor with FPV gear on it. A 450 at 150ft is never going to stay still no matter how good your eyesight is. Or you could just fly your heli around above your house with the camera on continuous shooting, and gamble that you get a good picture out of it.
Good luck.

mousie

Thanks for your respond everybody, and well said mountaindewdude.Up that high the wind likes to play with it alot. I need to concentrate on lower altitude. I just like to challenge myself once in awhile and go big.The heli survived with minimal damage to it. Flybar,main gear,main shaft one blade and cracked canopy.Could have been alot worse if it wasn't for the two foot of powder it went down in, and my $6.00 lost model finder.All models should have them!

Derek

Wind can be a terrible thing when it comes to heli's. Especially for smaller aircraft. I've got nothing against challenging myself and going big. I've got a "going big" project that I'm working on right now. Should be pretty cool! Good luck with getting your pictures. I hope you figure out a way to accomplish it.

Top Bottom