600 Flybar / FBL?

SIXFOOTER

OK, so tell me about FBL? Whats the deal, better than a heli with a flybar? Easier? more ability?
What the heck does a flybar do anyway?

Tony

Staff member
A flybar stabilizes the helicopter. If you look at one when you are holding the helicopter in the hand, it will do all it can to stay level. On a flybarless helicopter, it's all about efficiency. There is less rotating mass thus it uses less energy and you can make quicker maneuvers. But is more expensive.

Lee

Look at a tight rope walker. That big pole they hold gives them stability, same as the flybar.
FBL is just an electronic stabiliser. Less parts, less to damage. More efficient, better in wind.

ingk

Have 2 blade 450 heliis. one is a 3d model with flybar and the other I have converted to FBL with the Blade FBL head and AR7020bx.
As an old fart I am only into sports flying. Enjoy flying them both.
The FBL version is better in wind ,but both fly well if correctly setup.
With the 3d blade strike on landing results in a fly bar replacement in most cases.You get quite skilled at this.
With the FBL version you tend to stip or damage the servo gears. These can be replace in about 10 minutes and for about $4.0 per servo. quite good at this now just slide the servo out of the mount and leave it connected.
With around 350 flights on each i enjoy flying them both.

SIXFOOTER

Good info INGK, thanks for the comparison
The reason I got to asking it seems that at least on HK most of what they have is FBL
Got to wondering if the flybar is going away or what

SIXFOOTER

So I am thinking about a 600 and looking at the HK600 G1, price is low enough although the shipping has gotten expensive.
There are no recommended Servos listed for the thing so I am guessing at what I need. Looking at the Turnigy 1268HV for the head and maybe RJX FS-0521HV for the tail.
Also don't know what to do for a control system? I have a selection of RXs and I can figure out a motor/ESC combo.

Thoughts on the servos and the kit itself?

Tony

Staff member
I can assure you, once you are done and get it flying SAFELY, you do NOT want a clone 600. Lee had great luck with his, but it was NOT an HK. Do yourself a favor and get an Align 550 or 600. They just work. Yes, it's more expensive by a touch, but not that much when you look at the fact that these things are lethal.

Tony

Staff member
The money you are spending is on the electronics. And I don't care what kit you get, I HIGHLY suggest that you get good electronics. such as the DS615's and DS655 servos. I would also suggest that you invest in either an AR7200BX or an Ikon as they are some of the best gyros on the market right now with a decent price. You can find kits on ebay without gyros and save yourself a little money.

When I did some shopping, I added up all of the servos, ESC, Motor, bec and other items, and found out that by getting a supercombo, you are pretty much getting the kit for free. Just something to think about.

And yes, I think it makes that kind of a difference. Align is MUCH better than the clones that are out there.

Lee

My friend just bought an Align 700E from a guy.
Almost brand new for £150/$250!!!!!
There are some bargains out there if you look.
The difference between a clone and a name brand is night and day.

ingk

Hi sixfoot .... most of my flying is done on an Align 550E DFC fitted with a Mini Vba,r Castle phoenix 100 lite ESC and external BEC. Go for good electronics keep away from the 3GX ( only my opinion)

SIXFOOTER

OK, So this thing came today. Holy :):):):) this thing is Huge! I had no idea, its a monster.
I have a BX coming next couple days
I'll try and post up a couple pics tomorrow. Soon as the BX comes in I'll get it set up, or start to, then got to see if I have the balls to try and fly it.
Anyone got a recipe for this thing on a DX8? Battery recommendation?

Tony

Staff member
What did you expect a 700 to be? hahahaha. My 600 is large and I would LOVE to trade my 600 for a 700 electric. The sound is just amazing on those birds. Make sure to post up a LOT of pictures, and if you don't post a maiden video, I will have to find my ban hammer :chuckles:

:banned:

:admin:

cml001

Batteries.. Pulse or glacier... I have found that batteries are one of those "pay for what u get" kinda things... In the long term scheme of things I believe them to be a good choice.. Never had an issue with them and they perform fantastically!
Dx8.. I went from a dx6 to a dx9... So I'm not too familiar with the 8.. But if ur using a BX... All u need is to ensure correct movements and configure ur choice of dual & expo.. Ur set up will be done with linear curves at 100%.. Swash set to normal.. Most everything else is done in the BX.

- - - Updated - - -

PICS bruh!

Top Bottom