General Flight mode switch

Flymick

I do not understand what the flight modes do. I have flown or hovered only in Normal and never switched to Stnt 1 or 2. Can this be explained please. Stnt 2 is for 3d. Stnt 1 for normal or scale type flight. You take off in Norm, then flick to Stnt1 I presume, but do not understand why or the setup.
Thanks in advance.

stokke

This is the most common configuration;

While in Normal mode (position 1) you can cut the motor by pushing your throttle stick down to the very end.

While in Stunt mode (position 2 or 3) the motor will not cut when the throttle stick is in the lowest position, but continue at high speed.

___

This has to do with the second function of your throttle stick (usually the left stick on the radio); collective pitch. Pitch is a term that describes the angle of your blades: Positive pitch generates lift, neutral pitch generates no lift nor does it generate down force, negative pitch generates down force.

Usually the stunt mode is set up like this:

High stick = full throttle and full positive pitch
Mid stick = almost full throttle and neutral pitch
Low stick = full throttle and full negative pitch

Why would you want full throttle and negative pitch? Well, you could use it to descend super fast! But, most people use it for inverted flying :D

- - - Updated - - -

While flying like this, I have the stunt mode enabled and my throttle/pitch stick (left stick) is down low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slobberdog

as you have mentioned the flight modes give you the ability to set up your pitch curves and throttle curves for a given flying style.

here's how I got mine,

normal, sport flying calm no wind so my pitch curve starts at about -2 deg and then goes up to +12 deg (40-45-50-75-100) and throttle 0-40-75-75-75, I keep straight line after mid stick on both throttle and pitch as there is less for the heli to deal with, saying this I only use this rarely in the air if I am just hovering or indoors mostly use IU outside,

IU 1 - as above but with a little wind, as you need more neg pitch to be able to deal with transitional lift and thermals, believe me I have been caught out with this while learning and nearly could not get the heli down to the ground, my pitch then goes linear (0-25-50-75-100) as you would in 3d mode and my throttle goes flat across the board 85-85-85-85-85.

IU 2 - 3d full chat mode, pitch linear and throttle 100-100-95-100-100, don't do 3d myself yet as not good enough.

key with all your modes is to get centre stick pitch curve to be the same whatever mode you are in, otherwise when you switch from norm to IU the hell will jump or dump depending on your settings with the change in pitch likewise when you come down from IU to norm mode,

I tend to start heli on ground in normal mode and then go IU in the air.

Flymick

Thanks for the replies. So I could just stay in normal mode for take off, training and just stooping around ?

Slobberdog

like I said if you do get into a thermal, -2 deg of pitch will not be enough to bring the heli down in the air, so just be careful and don't panic,

stokke

Usually you do not begin using Idle Up/Stunt modes until you've got some flights on your back. Get good and comfy in Normal mode :D

murankar

Staff member
I have been on the sticks for some time now and just now getting the nerv up to fly in IU1 and IU2. Just stick with normal mode for now till you get the hang of flying.

Stambo

The other thing you can use your iu1 and iu2 switches for as a learner is to try the difference between 2 or 3 different setups. I did this to learn what a different throttle and pitch curve would do while still having a setup I knew I could handle in normal mode.
I copied my normal settings to iu1 and iu2 then made small changes in those and left normal as it was.
Once I found settings I was happy with I copied those to normal.

gaurdian

stambo thanks for that tip I never thought of that....I been changing my pitch and throttle curves allot the last couple days trying diff setups in just normal mode .
That little tip might just change my whole weekend to just flying....

Top Bottom