Flight Log forum?

bigone5500

What say we have a forum to record flight logs for both heli and plane? Maybe it's been done before and deemed not useful?

Tony

Staff member
Explain this a little more. Are you just looking for a generic forum section named "Flight Logs" then each member makes a post "Tony's Flight Logs"? If so, I think I can make that happen. Just explain it to me on exactly how it would work.

bigone5500

There would be a forum called 'flight logs' and each person would create a thread for themselves. 'Jared's 270 CFX Flight Logs' for example. They then would use that thread for any and all flights pertaining to that aircraft. This forum would be used for all aircraft. This way the other forums, helis, planes, multis, would not be, 'littered', if you will, with possible flight entries from everyone. Everything would be easily found here.

There should be rules/regulations on using this forum. These forums should not be used for any questions. The logs should be limited on discussion to keep them 'clean' so as to keep the flow of information easy to read without having to thumb through the riff raff of discussion. Any discussion which could lead to the thread not being used for log purposes should be directed to the appropriate forum. For example: the thread 'UFO flight log' would have an entry on date MM:dd:YYYY. This person would post about that days flight with said aircraft. Others viewing the thread could have opinions, questions, concerns, about the post. These things could turn the log into discussion which should be posted in another forum thus making the flight log pointless in a way. However, this could be a good thing with positive results. I suppose we would have to see.

What is your outlook on this? Thanks for considering.

Tony

Staff member
What would you think about disabling replies in this forum? Instead, put a link for a "Discussion Thread" at the top of the first post if people have questions or want to talk about it. Doing it this way would keep the threads in that section clean and on point since only the author can post in their own thread. What do you think?

bigone5500

What would you think about disabling replies in this forum? Instead, put a link for a "Discussion Thread" at the top of the first post if people have questions or want to talk about it. Doing it this way would keep the threads in that section clean and on point since only the author can post in their own thread. What do you think?
I like it sir. Let's do this brotha!

Tony

Staff member
I will see what I can do. It will be a day or two before I can get to it. I'm in bed right now about to crash out. In Tulsa right now and have to be in St. Louis Mo by noon tomorrow. And I can't start driving until 0500. I have a long day of driving ahead of me. Need sleep lol.

But I will definitely make this happen! This is a fantastic idea!!

bigone5500

Thanks Tony. Have a safe trip. I went to St. Louis once on a bus. trip. Got to see the arch but it was about 5:30 am.

Get some rest and take it easy!!!

Tony

Staff member
Last time I was this company, I saw the arch every week almost lol. Won't see it tomorrow unless I head a little more east. We will see though.

RandyDSok

I could see a potential issue with stopping replies unless it can be only the OP that could reply...

If it's to be a log for a specific craft... then the OP should be able to post additional flight logs in the same thread with no other users being able to post. Otherwise, the log for a specific craft could be a large number of threads making it hard to follow the history of flights.

Tony

Staff member
That is correct Randy, the OP can still reply, but others in the thread can only read and watch what the OP has posted. The OP can post as many replies as they want to continue the thread.

Admiral

Hi Guys, if I can add my two cents worth, I have just read Bigone5500's 270 CFX post, I can't see too many people participating at that level of detail, in fact I doubt that many A380 pilots put in that much detail unless they have had a notable incident.

On my flying days I normally have 6 or 8 flights most with different aircraft I am not going to come home and spent an hour completing Logs for each flight, my entry would probably be something like this if I participated

" Went flying at St Francis, weather fine slight breeze, flew 8 flights, 1 with UMX Cub, 1 with Agile 5.5, 2 with Robo Pigeon, 2 with Align 450L, 1 with 450 Quad and 1 with 550 Hex. Only notable incident, turned the Pigeon into a lawn dart after attack of dumb thumbs, damage was usual type flesh wound, canopy, frame, boom, main shaft, feathering shaft, main gear, should be back in the air later today."

I am not critical of the idea of Flight Logs for people who want to participate and if they want to spend an hour writing up Logs when they get home that's OK too, but the only thing of note in my report was the Lawn Dart and I'd rather forget that rather than record it.

Tony

Staff member
I can completely see where you are coming from Keith. I know this will not be a heavily used forum by everyone, but for those that want to keep logs, it would be a great place for them to post up.

And if the forum flops, it's easy to move all the posts to another forum. We will give it a shot anyway.

Admiral

No problems Tony just expressing a view, several years ago I used an iPad Log app that recorded Battery, Flight Time, Damage etc, I just checked it last entry 2013 and I no longer own most of the models listed.

EyeStation

I have one set up, as you have noticed from the "New Post" section. I find it useful and kinda amusing to look back. Most of what I have posted was the final build and hopefully maiden, then the learning progression. I hardly ever post flights after the learning curve has completed. Mostly because they are rather casual and somewhat uneventful. But when some milestone passes, I enjoy spreading the news. No doubt, they interest very few in the forum. But there are those few that are curious about your new aircraft/accessory that they enjoy watching the uploads.
The nice part about uploading a flight log through your YouTube/Whatever account, it is not taking up video demanding space on the RC-Help server.
So upload links I say! Let the newbies check out what it is like to be new, stupid and proud of your "dumb thumbs". They can also gain confidence in watching your growing pains through your increasing flying skill.
Hell, we are not all semi-pro fliers. But everyone of us has something to offer to the hobby/sport. You just might not realize it until someone replies to your post.
And fear not if they do not respond. You have a nice little place on the web to share with your friends and family of your money-sucking hobby.

Tony

Staff member
Just wanted to let everyone know, the new Flight Log section is now active. You can reach it by clicking the link below. EVERYONE READ THE STICKY! vBulletin allowed me to set very specific rules for each section, but XenForo will not allow me to kill the replies except for the OP. If I kill replies, even the OP can not post updates. I'm working on a solution to this, but for now, the sticky is there to let you know what will happen to ALL replies other than the OP's replies to update the thread.

Flight Logs

Top Bottom