General Flaps

Just trying to work out in my head, how do I make flaps in my wings? Is it the whole section that moves? Like with the ailerons, or is it as i've seen elsehwere, just the lower part of the control surface?
Going to be interesing in the corsair, and the flaps are in the "gull" and on the lower part of the wing, just picturing in my head how i'm going to make it work

It is almost the same thing as ailerons.the only real difference in it is that you want both to go up or down at the same time. I assume that you know what flaps are ment for. You will make the flaps the same size as the ailerons, But it will be on its on channel.you can Y harness them the same way as ailerons but they will be on there on channel.depending on your controller you will have to change the format if you will in the controller settings. Instead of the wings with a single servo setup you will be telling it that it has two sets of servos.if you are going to set up flaps u can also set them as spoilers.the difference between the two is. Flaps move downwards to help with Somme lift whi.e ether taking off or landing. Spoilers move upwards to give drag .you can say they act like e brakes but will drop the plane faster.when yo,u are on the ground. Hit the spoilers and the plane will come to a stop faster

treff

You could try using your ailerons as flaps. I have done this a few times and it works quite well. You have to be careful and do not give to much movement
to the flap or you will loose out with the aileron. just set up a mix in the TX. It works okay on slop soarers to get a little extra lift in not so good flying conditions. Cheers

Hi Treff,
I had thought about flaperons, but with what I want to build I would actually need flaps. I'm wanting to build a corsair, so if I do go down the path, it will need flaps rather than flaperons.
Hi Nitro
I do know what they are for, and hence why I want them for the corsair. Really want to be able to not need to land as hot, but still know that I will have to land reasonably fast, as these things love to tip stall.
Had thought about the air brakes, but I think that is now just too much extra work on what is meant to be a basic model, and is just adding to the list of things that could go wrong. This is my first scratch build, and I don't want to go too crazy yet haha

Top Bottom