General Fl heads (align trex)

Rikrik51

Hi been looking at fl heads as opposed to dfc are they better and if so how much of my existing dfc stuff will be used?

Tony

Staff member
"Better" is a relative term here. DFC is Direct Flight Control meaning rigid arms that not only control the pitch of the blades, but also are the swash drivers. If you crash all of the force is fed straight to the servos. On a FBL head the linkages will bend first.

The DFC head is usually shorter than a standard FBL head. On a 450, by almost an inch in height. I don't know of a FBL head that is as short as the DFC head on a 450.

Another thing, the DFC head uses solid plastic dampers in the head and the FBL usually uses a softer material. This means if you have slightly out of balance blades or a very minor bend in the main shaft, the DFC head will transfer those vibrations to the gyro whereas the FBL head could dampen the vibration slightly.

Smoggie

Is this FL head for your 600? You can use the grips and spindle shaft from the DFC. You need the FL head, swash, pitch control arms and links. You also need to use the main shaft off the 550 as the 600 DFC one is too short.

I converted my 600 to standard flybarless ages ago, before the 'FL' head was available. I used the head off a Blade 600X which fits perfectly though I had to make a custom cut-down main shaft. To be honest in flight there isn't a huge difference but the standard type head I find lower maintenance, the DFC head used to wear out the ball links on the DFC arms quite quickly. My main reason for changing was as an engineer the inherent design shortcomings of DFC irritated me, even though in practice it worked ok.

Rikrik51

Interesting,it was the 600 I was mainly thinking about,but I might just keep an eye on the links,got a spare head so might give that a bit of a going over,thicker feathering shaft ,links and so on,tnx for Input again smoggie ,this hobby really is one where you never stop learning

Top Bottom