Videos First TBS video test flight

WyDiablo

This is the maiden and first video test flight to check for vibs and jello and from the looks of the video I have some tuning ahead of me. Gonna try out different props to see if that crazy noise will stops. It sounds like 2 metal plates bangig together lololol. It's the same setup that was on my F450 and that noise did not exist.
TBS test video - YouTube

Stambo

Sounds like out of balance props to me.
My 450 X quad sounded a lot like that until I balanced the props.

Then there's the usual, check for loose screws etc.
Have you had any heavy landings, check carefully for cracks in the arms, especially around where the feet attach to the arms.
When I rebuilt mine after the crash I had a cracked one that I didn't notice until I flew it.

Last edited:

Karubah

I agree with Stambo, it sounds like a prop is out of balance or sync. I can,t remember if you said you had balanced your motors as well as your props. I know I spent bloody hours getting both props and motors balanced. I even turned the props on the motors until I had them so that there was no vibration using the laser pointer on the arms.

A very good video for a maiden flight, it took me ages to get video as good as that.

WyDiablo

Yeah I think its the props also. I can't remember if I had balance them or not and they are 10"x4.7 CF props. I have exchanged them with a set of cheap plastic props that I know I have balanced before. The TBS has never been crashed because I had just completed the build a couple of days ago. And I don't think the arms are cracked either but the change in props just make make a difference. I will find out today how she flies and handles. I might have to go back to my old trusty F450 LOLOLOL

WyDiablo

Ok the problem was with the CF props that were out of balance. The cheap plastic props sounded much quieter and smoother flying it even became more stable those props. But I still have jello and I tried using ear plugs as vibration dampeners and that hepled some. Now I will try the pipe insulation foam that I use on my 650 and its jello and vibration free using that stuff. And if I can't get the jello and vibs out I will trash that TBS for sure. LOLOLOL Don't ya just love all the head aches that come with a hobby LMAO

Tasajara

A good set of Graupners tend to fix alot of problems. I noticed a big difference for nylon props to Graupners.
The only carbon props I would think of using is the Tiger Props. But I do have some Tarot carbon props that look
better than most I am going to try. Pretty cheap too LOL

I got some like these to try.... Tarot 3K Pure carbon forward reverse propeller set 1045
$6.72 for 2 carbon props not to bad.. and they ship pretty quick . I have made 3 orders from them and they get it to you way faster than hobbyking even gets ready to ship

Last edited:

Stambo

Use the laser balance method. It takes a bit to get the hang of it but once you do, I think it is superior to any other method.
You are then balancing the motor, prop and prop adaptor all together.
It's amazing how much difference it makes to noise and vibrations.
The second you remove a prop it needs to be rebalanced, even if you put it back on the same place.
In a perfect world this would not be the case as it would go back to exactly where it was, but a perfect world is not the one we live in.

My two big quads are like chalk and cheese as far as noise is concerned.
One I spent ages getting the balance just right as it has a camera on it.
The other is near enough as it is now only used for bashing around and doing crazy stuff like flying in the dark and cutting grass.
(No not inverted.)
I may even get crazy enough to flip it one day but not yet.

Top Bottom