250 First complete overhaul

zenmetsu

Since I figured that I have about 50 hours on my bird, I decided to tear it down completely and do some preventative maintenance. This was partially spurred by the fact that I got a new tail gear housing (the align part) to replace my EXI housing. Now I can finally use all Align replacement parts without fear of compatibility problems.

Also, last night I spun the heli around and put the tail right into a large hibiscus, but she stayed in the air. I noticed an immediate change in sound, however. It sounded like the dreaded 250 tail wag but a little slower and the tail was still holding rock solid. During my teardown, I noticed that the belt was failing. The teeth were all still there, but some places were stretchy now, indicating that the kevlar belt had failed. :(

As for the overhaul, my motor is still going strong so I left it alone. I do not know the average lifespan of these motors, but I gave the bearings some lovin'. I replaced the two main shaft bearings, and gave everything else a good cleaning. I replaced the tail gear housing with the plastic Align one. I wish that they had an aluminum part, however, since this part is one of two that keep the upper and lower frames together. The tail drive shaft did not seem to spin as freely as I would like, but I gave it some lube in the hopes that it would loosen up.

I gave all my bearings and screws a good soaking in acetone, flushed the bearings with lubricant until they were clean, and put everything back together with some blue loctite. I replaced the dampers in the rotor housing. After a few hours of letting the loctite up, I spooled up the heli indoors. Holy cow... it was like a new bird. The noise was probably 30% what it used to be. The pulsing from the belt was also eliminated, as expected. I also noticed that she took slightly less power to hover now, probably because the motor was not straining as much.

I took it outside and fell in love this this heli all over again. I don't know what it was, the dampers or the mainshaft bearings, but this thing has almost no vibration now. I have the gyro gain at 70% now in HH mode, up from 66%, and I cannot get it to wag no matter how hard I try to piro the thing. :yahoo:

All I gotta say is thanks to the input from people on these forums and keep your helis maintained. I am fairly certain that the main shaft bearings had a lot to do with this since they were a bit notchy.

Tony

Staff member
As you have just proven to yourself, maintenance on these birds can go a long way. The plastic tail gear housing will be fine as long as you don't over tighten it. It's also lighter than aluminum and will take some strain off the motor to lift the bird into the air. Minimal yes, but it's still there.

So when are we going to get to see this bird in the air???????

zenmetsu

Hopefully tomorrow. I need to get my lady to record my flight. I get home kinda late with the exception of Fridays, so I do a lot of flying in the dark (well, artificial lighting).

I plan on doing some... grass cutting, and posting a video in that thread you guys got going. :)

Tony

Staff member
I was trying to get the perfect shot of grass cutting with my mcpx until one of the tail motors came off. Trying to fix it so I can try again. Teh video I did get doesn't show much.

zenmetsu

I thought that I did post a video up here from a long time ago when I was doing hover practice. Maybe not. I'll see if I can dig it up at least until I can get something else up tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is... This is at my old apartment complex, the new place is much nicer for heli flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNT1VxuvIE

Tony

Staff member
You may have. I want to see the way you are flying now :biggrin1:

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, watching Fringe right now. I will catch teh video here in about an hour. I have a lot of work that I have to get done tonight lol. Love this hobby.

zenmetsu

To be honest, I'm not doing a hell of a lot yet. I can do my figure 8s, and when I am feeling confident, I can try some of the stuff that I do in the sims, like a stall turn. I crashed the first time I tried since I didn't get the orientation right with the rudder input. In retrospect, I could have just corrected with the cyclic really quick and just enter a high altitude hover, but noobs will be noobs.

zenmetsu

That is kinda why I want to get a 500. While the 250 is flying nicely for me, it is probably a bit too responsive for a beginner to learn advanced maneuvers on. She did her job well, taught me to hover and do slow flight like a pro. The end result is as I had hoped; the added challenge of the 250 has gotten me to the point where a 450 and up seem very tame and easy to fly. The issue is that progressing to the next stage is harder than I thought it would be and I think I may have actually bit off more than I can chew.

At least the 250 will still be with me after I learn the hard stuff on the 450, and I can come back and enjoy the faster action.

zenmetsu

Ugh, I'm still trying to get a handle on the heli's responsiveness to collective input in the absence of the training gear. I just took her outside and thought that I could handle the gusty conditions, but mother nature coupled with my struggling with the collective made this thing look like a drunk mosquito. I'll post a vid, nothing to be proud of for sure, but I'll post it anyways. :)

zenmetsu

Upping the video now. I left everything in the video, no editing, and recorded the whole flight. I even popped out the canopy nut by accident while fitting the canopy, lol. I had to record this with my GoPro Ghetto... you know, where you tape an iPod to a headlamp. :)

Tony

Staff member
Going by the last video I posted, you are more stable than I am lol. Looking good and a good way to get your daily exercise lol.

zenmetsu

I just took it out again, did much better. I am having to re-learn this thing without the added mass from the training gear.

I stripped down my motor and had the bearings replaced. The bearings were a bit notchy. A set of bearings from the Trex 600 fit the motor perfectly and brought the high pitch whine down a bit.

I'll try to get a better video tomorrow. I am still not confident doing prolonged nose-in orientation without the training gear, but I am working up to that point. Looks like I need to get my collective coordination dialed in before doing anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

I also like how I forgot that I tested blade tracking after replacing dampers and ran the motor for about 30 sec. Forgot that this wasn't a fresh battery and the ESC lowered throttle due to low-LiPo about 10 sec before my timer on my transmitter went off, LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

And while I appreciate the compliment, there's no way you were as bad as me with your 250, lol.

Tony

Staff member
Not a 250, I was referring to my mcpx in the grass cutting video. That thing was all over the place. Shows how long it's been since I have flown.

zenmetsu

Ahh, I got ya. I just started flying again after a 1.5 month hiatus. Work will do that to ya.

Luckily it is almost like riding a bike, you don't really forget how. :) Anyways, it is really nice outside, so I am going to go get some flight time in.

Tony

Staff member
Don't forget? Tell my fingers that lmao. But you are right, once you learn it, it may take a little time to get back to where you were, but you will get there much faster.

Top Bottom