General First basics 3D maneuvers advises

Doum066

Greetings guys,

I've started training some basic maneuvers in the SIM, i'm still away from trying it out IRL, but i made a small video showing the basis maneuvers i do in the sim, i'm looking for some advises as for what too look, make sure is set proeperly on the bird for such maneuvers, or setups in the BeastX, or advises as what to be careful of Sim physics vs. IRL. I really suck for now and i know it, i've only started a few days ago doing stuff besides oval circuits and all orientation flying/hovering and landings. The basics maneuvers are nothing specials, FF loops, so-so half cuban eight, side loop, tail slide / rolling tail slide and backward circuits. Doing loops IRL scares me :)

Phoenix 4 - Basic aerobatics maneuvers training - BEGINNER - YouTube

Dominic

stokke

You seem to have the flying nailed in the sim, but more importantly you should now start to test your skills IRL. If you feel the heli performs too sluggish to perform your moves, increase the "Control behavior" on your beastX. When you feel the heli performs adequately, test your skills at high altitude (so you can save yourself if you should mess up). Also remember to take small pauses between attempts - this way your brain can catch a break, and is less likely to cause a crash.

Good luck!

Doum066

Thanks Stokke,

I did a quick test yesterday at the field, a straight small backward flight to see how it goes and behave backward, as for the Control Behavior, i always went Transmitter settings option, since i start with my 450 Pro DFC, then used the same with the 500, at first i started at D/R 80 and Expo 30 (which with DX6 and DX8 positive Expo reduces sensitiveness) Then last week started gradualy lower it to D/R 90 and Expo 15, and yesterday went down at a D/R 100 and Expo 0 to get use to it's normal feeling. Gotta get use to normal settings flying before any attempt at 3D or maneuvers, so i did some circuits with this settings. So now as for settings what i have are ;

Normal :
D/R : 80 - Expo : 30
TC : 0/60/85/95/95
PC : 15%/25%/50%/75%/100% (This gives me a Col. Pirch range from more or less -9/+11.5
Uses : Used for take off only, once hovering at about 70% i flip it to IU1, no variation in TC or PC at this point, smooth transition)

Idle Up 1 :
D/R : 100 - Expo : 0
TC : 95/95/95/95/95
PC : 15%/25%/50%/75%/100% (same as Normal)
Uses : Used for flying, circuits, hovering. I usualy land at this Flight Mode, easier to land and smoother with more negative pitch and no throttle variation, using only pitch)

Idle Up 2 :
D/R : 100 - Expo : 0
TC : 100/100/100/100/100
PC : 0%/25%/50%/75%/100% (Gives me the full collective range of -11.5/11.5)
Uses : Haven't used it yet, but this will be the maneuvers flight mode when starting my attempts, first i'll test it out as normal flying, circuits and get the feeling of it.

Using a 12T pinion now.

I did progress a lot since i started by the end of winter this year... didn't had much time to fly with the crappy weather we had this spring and summer, but still i started from a TC of about 0/60/75/75/75 with a PC which game me about -2/11.5, a D/R of 80 and Expo 30, the IU1 TC was flat 75 with same PC as Normal... it took me a while to get confident but there it is. :) Now the next step if moving her around a bit... Im curious, how long about didit take you guys to start being confident and start flipping her around and stuff?

EyeStation

Thanks for posting all those settings. I'm gonna have to try those on my TRex 450 Xl. I have yet to flip the idle switch on it yet. In fact, just started to do that last night with the mCPx indoors. I noticed the transition point for switching better be matched, unless you like surprises.

xokia

The best advice I can give when going from the sim to real life, don't expect it to be exactly the same. I find things much easier to do in the sim vs real life. I don't focus on getting things perfect in the sim. I focus on just getting the concept in the sim and work on perfecting it in real life.

Doum066

The best advice I can give when going from the sim to real life, don't expect it to be exactly the same. I find things much easier to do in the sim vs real life. I don't focus on getting things perfect in the sim. I focus on just getting the concept in the sim and work on perfecting it in real life.

Don't worry for that, i don't expect being the same :) I use the sim for the same reasons as you do, getting the feeling of each maneuvers, train my brain to react naturally on orientations and stuff more than perfection and most of all, as i did with circuits, nose-in, side-in hovering and flying, i train and train until yes it gets a natural reflex, but most of all, i can repeat each stuff, routine, on and on and on again and again until no crashes, if i still perform stuff in the sim and i still crash, i personally take it as a «no go». After a few days, i can now perform a routine i planned based on my packs flight time, and so far i haven'T crashed in the last 10 sessions, so far not sure if i should try eventualy with my 500, or wait till money gets back in and upgrade the crappy 600 i bought, to FBL and with new servos, and use this on for maneuvers training, if i crash it, i don't care.Once my 550 is finish building, i'll get the feel of a bigger bird and we'll see.

Thanks for the Tip Xokia

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Don't worry for that, i don't expect being the same :) I use the sim for the same reasons as you do, getting the feeling of each maneuvers, train my brain to react naturally on orientations and stuff more than perfection and most of all, as i did with circuits, nose-in, side-in hovering and flying, i train and train until yes it gets a natural reflex, but most of all, i can repeat each stuff, routine, on and on and on again and again until no crashes, if i still perform stuff in the sim and i still crash, i personally take it as a «no go». After a few days, i can now perform a routine i planned based on my packs flight time, and so far i haven'T crashed in the last 10 sessions, so far not sure if i should try eventualy with my 500, or wait till money gets back in and upgrade the crappy 600 i bought, to FBL and with new servos, and use this on for maneuvers training, if i crash it, i don't care.Once my 550 is finish building, i'll get the feel of a bigger bird and we'll see.

Thanks for the Tip Xokia

You hit the nail on the head! I use the SIM to try new moves and gain muscle memory. Now I have seen this with my own eyes..every one at the field who wants to try their first move always did a front or back flip. lol as I did. So my little tip to you if you are going to try your first back/front flip is to remember to go high and don't forget throttle mid stick. As I have done and the new guys at our field, is we tend to not put throttle back to mid stick during the attempt of flip. The outcome..bird is inverted heading straight to the ground.

stokke

You hit the nail on the head! I use the SIM to try new moves and gain muscle memory. Now I have seen this with my own eyes..every one at the field who wants to try their first move always did a front or back flip. lol as I did. So my little tip to you if you are going to try your first back/front flip is to remember to go high and don't forget throttle mid stick. As I have done and the new guys at our field, is we tend to not put throttle back to mid stick during the attempt of flip. The outcome..bird is inverted heading straight to the ground.

I agree with Anthony. I also started out inverted with a flip backwards, only I started out with trying to tic toc. This way you learn the collective management needed to perform a successful flip to inverted, avoiding the outcome that Anthony mentioned. Also, I made sure I could hover inverted like a boss on the sim before trying it IRL.

Doum066

Greetings guys,

Well that's it, i did try my first flips tonight. Was also my first time using my IU2 using a full pitch range curve... Did a few packs to get the hang of it and do some circuits and precision close in maneuvers and hovering... then after 2 packs, i decided to try it out on my 3rd pack, took her high, did my flip, nicer than i'Ve thought and easier... i did a few, than land the bird. I could feel though it kinda lack power... I took her up for a 4th pack, then tried another flip, this time she did something weird, so i told to my sef.. humm that'S odd, and was stupid enough to try once more, this time, she came down fast, since i got cool termper now, i manage to bring her back hone, but i did some Corn chopping... not sure what happened, maybe i forgot to switch to UP2 and i was still on IU1. Diff is: (IU1: TC: Flat 95%, PC around -8/+11.4) (IU2: RC: Flat 100%, PC full pitch range of -11.4/+11.4) Or it's the packs burst that sucks? i'm using those packs;

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom