450 Finally pulled the trigger!

DAL2855

Banned
Well, I finally did it! I finally pulled the trigger and bought an Align 450 DFC Pro! The one from Super Bad! And he had enough parts lying around to build another helicopter! What a deal! And had the parts I need to fix my HK450GT! So now I'll have 3 flying 450 helicopters! Man I can't wait!

DAL2855

Banned
I ordered the CF blades and 4 MG90S servos for the second build. And the belts to convert my HK450GT back to a belt driven tail instead of the TT tail drive so I don't have as many issues with the tail on this bird. Man I can't wait to get started on these builds! Got three birds now I'll be building! Well fixing my current bird and then the other two!

- - - Updated - - -

Question for ya Tony, I have both the helical cut gears and straight cut gears, which one is more stable and easier to fly with? The helical gears because of the higher headspeeds? or what?

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean about higher head speeds. On a 450, you shouldn't need to go over 3000rpm on the head speed.

The straight cut gears are stronger, but the helical cut gears are quieter. To put it into perspective, the transmission in your car uses helical gears, but your engine is only pushing about 200hp (guessing). This provides a very quiet ride, you don't even hear the gears. However, in a race car such as NASCAR, they use straight cut gears and are pushing over 600hp. The transmissions in those are very loud and you can clearly hear the gear wine from inside the car.

IMO, unless you are just smacking the crap otu of these with the most powerful motor you can find, go with the helical gears. I would suggest, with a 3500kv motor, that you run the 11T pinion. The tooth count on the main gear may be lower, but the teeth are thicker resulting in a smaller pitch number. This is the way they make them strong enough to withstand the same amount of power. Hope this all makes sense.

DAL2855

Banned
The helical gears are a different ratio so they naturally will have a higher head speed Tony. It's a 121T main and 12T pinion on those and the normal 150T main and 12-13T pinion on the straight gearsets. I've heard the higher your headspeed, the more stable and responsive the heli is, but I don't know how true this is. Haven't really tested this theory. The one and only time I was able to hover the bird really well, I had lowered the throttle curve to 0,30,50,55,55 and it hovered really well and stable with the throttle curve setup like this. And this was with the helical gear set installed on the bird.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah I am running the Hobbymate HB2840 motor on this bird! Which if I remember right, is rated at 3400kv!

Top Bottom