450 finally maiden flight the HK 450 pro

heli-maniac

well after all the tweeking and rebuilding of this hk450 pro that i got just for parts it has come a long way
to it out for its maiden today and not to bad but the wind was not helping things but is looking good

this heli was taken all the way down and redone with align ds 420 servos align dfc rotor head align 3g flybarless system

http://youtu.be/m38MUXFZLcA

http://youtu.be/-VITNtB05gA

think that at the end was the esc over heated and shut off

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
What ESC are you running? I have the Align 35a on mine and I never had an issue. And it was over 100º outside when I flew mine. Either way, great flight. Looks like those upgrades really paid off for ya. What servo are you running on your tail?

heli-maniac

its got a junk turnigy esc that i got with the heli i think it got hot i was on the third battery strait hovering
the tail servo is power hd its seems to bee just like a 520
i need to take up to the park and mess with it with more room cant do much here at the house

Tony

Staff member
It looked solid to me. If you get a chance and have the money, get the Align 35a ESC. Mine has the best spool up I have ever seen. URI has a Scorpion ESC and he says it's the same way. They shouldn't over heat, even when you are just hovering when put under the battery tray. They will be warm, but not shut down. Either way, the heli looks great adn you have me thinking about the DFC head for mine. Love the lower profile.

heli-maniac

the dfc is only a 1/4 of inch short main shaft than the stock pro shaft
it look a lot lower on mine because the canopy is a little larger and fatter so its raised up and slid in the slot on the lower canopy mount

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, but on a heli this small, the 1/4" is a lot. And you get rid of some links as well with the removal of the swash drivers. Either way, I'm thinking about it.

murankar

Staff member
Let me do a video of my spool up. I can put my left stick to half way right away and the head will spool up on its own. I had the dynum detrum prior and that thing would "jerk" as it engaged the motor. I had a hard time getting that smooth start up before I got the scorpion. I can say is that if you decide to upgrade the esc the scorpion will not fit well in the airframe. I had to mount mine externally on the right side of the nose. It will need airflow to assist with cooling. I have ran 3 packs continuous and it does get hot, but never hit the termal shut off yet. Plus with just hovering the electronics get a harder work out.

Give me a few and I should have a video of the spool up.

heli-maniac

its cool the spool up on mine is smooth it dose not jerk the heli around but for it just to stop all together out of the blue is not a good thing im just glad it was in a low hover when it did it and didnt hurt the heli

murankar

Staff member
here is a short vid of the spool up. I did two spools ups one with the tx out of the camera and one with the tx in the camera. In between spool ups I had to wait 35 seconds for the soft start to kick back in. This feature is a program option in the ESC.

2 of my spars finally broke last weekend. That is why there is a tilt to one side. I hope I don't need them much longer or else I will need a set of new ones.

http://youtu.be/oMd20MaD2u8

heli-maniac

just trim down the ends on the training gear on each rod to match the broken amount on the others
if you get rid of some of the mass on the rotor head and go flybarless the start would be even smother

murankar

Staff member
Bent main shaft. I have replacements on the way. It does not appear bent but it is. I can't do the glass trick because of the weilded center collar. Should be about a week and half till I get the new parts, til then I have to suffer.

heli-maniac

well the Align 3gx frame kit should be here tomorrow and the change over will begin
so i will have a HK450 pro frame with belt drive tail for sale i have lots of parts could put a kit together if some one want it
the only thing i dont have is a tail servo for it

Top Bottom