Finally dialed in my 450 then crash.

Ken Jackson

Think I'll take a helicopter break for a few weeks

Had a dozen good fun flights with her. But I was sure it was my fault but after watching the video something may have happened. It had been flying almost (right) stick free down the straightaways. When I said in the video that I was nervous I should have landed then, Lol.

The wind was 15-20+, the 2 passes to the left before the crash you can see how fast the wind was pushing the helicopter. Westy I should have just worked on my basics, caught your videos this morning good stuff.

Ken :uncomfortableness:

Crashed My 450 - YouTube

Westy

LEGEND
Thanks re my Training Vids!

Bummer dude ... Heli Vs Pickup..... Round 1 to the Pick up..... I think you snapped right aileron instead of left .... Too close to the ground Ken!....... ya need ta walk before you can run haha.

it is like watching a kid jump on a quad bike ... and go full throttle ... and they don't even know where the brake is or how to steer it .... but full throttle Hoo Rah!

Did it snap the belt? Tail looked in one piece! - Be it in the middle of the path

At least you hit the dirt .... could have been worse... damage to your truck or it could have hit the concrete

Last edited:

heli-maniac

sorry to see that
i know the feeling all to well i crashed both my 450 and 550 this weekend
but put it back together and get back at it

Ken Jackson

That's a little harsh Westy, not necessarily untrue. I was flying very fast, I do know how to slow down I just chose not to. So to make sure Westys' point is taken correctly by all. I pushed it too hard and crashed because of it.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to see that
i know the feeling all to well i crashed both my 450 and 550 this weekend
but put it back together and get back at it

Thanks dude, yea I crashed my 500 Friday night. Doing something I can normally do but didn't execute at all. I need to get back to regular Sim time. My 500 is back together except for one servo I'm waiting on a gear set. I do like building and repairing but I would enjoy more successful flights between crashes. I do need to spend some time on fundamentals and I guess I need to slow down some.

Life goes on...

Ken

Westy

LEGEND
:pirate:Sorry dude.... was tongue in Cheek of course LMAO..... you were doin great too by the way!

Sometimes you gotta push it to see what your limits are ... and the helis of course! No point cruising round with a block under the gas pedal ... what is the fun in that! We all want a rush!

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Westy no belt, had a Tarot torque tube conversion on it. Tail shaft and tail blades look OK. Boom and torque tube bent. Definitely bent main shaft and spindle. One main blade is OK. Both main gears are OK, surprisingly. TT front and rear gear sets are OK. Frame appears unharmed, skids are bent but skid holder and canopy are fine.

Actually not as much damage as I suspected. I have a bunch of 500 parts but very little 450 so it will be a while. I was supposed to sell the 450 anyway I want another 500 or a 550. 450 is just too small for my eyes.

Westy

LEGEND
go 630 Goblin :) or a Trex 700 .... Nitro will give you good orientation as the smoke tells you the story ....

Ken Jackson

My good out of town helicopter buddy called me after my crash. Of course I was kind of vague in my responses to "how's it going"? So finally he says I think I'll take a break from helicopters for a while. After I listened to his crash which involved the motor pinion coming loose for 5-10 seconds then locking back on the shaft somehow, the helicopter shot up like a rocket. He said then as he was getting it under control, he was getting teeth from the main gear breaking and shooting out at him. Then of course having no teeth to have some resistance on the blades it came down pretty hard.

After that I got to tell him my story. We gotta laugh that we both didn't want to be the first to say they crashed. :highly_amused:

- - - Updated - - -

go 630 Goblin :) or a Trex 700 .... Nitro will give you good orientation as the smoke tells you the story ....

Never thought about it from that perspective.

Maybe after I go a year with no crashes. Until then repairing a 500 fits my budget. I'm just having fun. Only flying 1 1/2 years probably too cocky for my own good. You guys making the how to videos and answering questions to support this sport are awesome. Sharing your years of experience and learning the hard way stories make it possible for just about anyone can pick up this sport on some level and experience flying.

Stoke
GABA
Lee
Tony
Westy
Povloc

To name a few.

Westy

LEGEND
ahh.... you have been in it longer than I have :) .... well ok .. I have been at it for a month longer! ... I am just super super hungry for knowledge and learn fast at anything I try.... so others think anyway ... I am always telling myself how useless at flying I am!

Lee

The 28th of May will mark my 3rd RC Birthday :D Although i had a couple of big breaks in the middle with work. So just over two years fully flying. And still addicted to it worse than crack :D

Ken Jackson

Yeah, I used to smoke cigarettes and I have to say my helicopter addiction is probably worse. Certainly cost more! Lol Westy I have always been a fast trakker learning anything new. Not as thorough as I was when I was younger. I have always been fascinated with flying, electrical, mechanical and any type of electronics tech. So RC is perfect or me. I just need to listen to my instincts and know when I'm not on my game to just land whether I used up a whole battery or not and take my helicopter home in one piece.

:uncomfortableness:

Ken

Top Bottom