Federal Appeals Court Voids FAA UAS Registration Rule

Tony

Staff member
In a case that was deemed David vs Goliath, David has won this round!!! The Federal Appeals Court of DC has ruled today that model aircraft being registered was in violation of the section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012! John A. Taylor was the person that took the FAA to court and the court said the following in their ruling...

"In short, the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act provides that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,” yet the FAA’s 2015 Registration Rule is a “rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.” Statutory interpretation does not get much simpler. The Registration Rule is unlawful as applied to model aircraft."

This is a HUGE win for the people that just like to fly model aircraft! There is the option that the FAA can appeal this decision but it is unlikely to be heard by any higher court. The other option the FAA can do is lobby congress to repeal the 2012 law so that the FAA can have free run of us. If that happens, I will just flat sell everything and get out of the hobby.

But for today, WE WIN!

Tony

Staff member
That seems to be the most asked question. And I have a feeling that whoever paid will never see that money again. But then, there will be someone out there with more money than sense and will take them to court over $5 lol. I'm just glad there is some headway being made.

Smoggie

I hope the rule makers over this side of the pond take some notice of this. Though i suspect they wont and they will plough on with their proposed legislation regardless. Over here there is nothing equivalent to the '2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act', so nothing to stop those who want to make up stupid and pointless regulations from doing so.

Tony

Staff member
If they can get enough votes, they will repeal 336 from the books giving the FAA free run. I hope they don't and realize they are killing a fantastic hobby, but the threat of that happening is still there.

Top Bottom