Projects FB Albatross Taxi Test #2

nice work!! Looks good... looks nice and stable on the ground, shouldn't get too many issues there now!!
Can't wait to see the initial flight!

pvolcko

For a plane that size I would have thought that grass wouldn't have been an issue. Maybe thinner larger diameter wheels on the front would help it roll over/through that stuff? Otherwise very cool. Looking forward to the next step.

wolfman76

i think i am going to agree with pvolcko on that one is exactly what i was thinking maybe some larger balloon style tires like what you would see on a piper cub probably 1/4 scale tires i am guessing maybe robarts tir they have air in them and will give in some to absorb rougher terrain and will make it roll through even that tall grass i put my money on it other then that she looks very strong and powerful great job derek

murankar

Staff member
I was thinking the same thing about softer tires. Although I did not think of the narrow taller tires. Looks and sounds sweet.

I am waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe I can fly...

Derek

Thanks for the link, Kyle! I'll look into them.

Also...I couldn't agree with you guys more! We definitely need taller wheels. The wheels that I have now are 5 inches tall and not quite 1 1/2 inches wide. I might look into making a mold for some fiberglass and custom making my own taller, narrower, and light weight wheels.

Derek

Yeah...when I first saw the wheels, and the $5.00 price tag per wheel, I thought these wheels would be perfect. I'm not so sure now.

wolfman76

hard wheels i do not think will work like you need with the weight of the plane and size you need a taller wheel and softer to flex especially over different types of terrain they will act as a sort of suspension which you need if there is no give then it would be more likely to break something on the plane squishier wheels will give during taxiing like rocks.... I think the plane will start rolling a whole lot easier thus letting it get up to speed quicker especially during takeoffs when speed and maybe limited runway space are factors...

Derek

hmmm, softer wheels??? I may have to agree with you on this idea, too, Kyle! Thanks! I'll see what I can do about that.

wolfman76

No problem Derek i think we have all become part of this build and we all want to see the maiden flight as successful as it can be....

Top Bottom