Quad Eye's WASP 280 Mini FPV Quad

EyeStation

Agreed Stambo.
And in the past couple days at work I got a chance to get in 2 full batteries of complete FPV flights in that factory area.
There were two other batteries that had broken flights. Not the kind of broken that ends your flight. These were broken by two different people coming into the area to see what the "Buzz" was about. Both the guys heard the quad and stood quietly behind me when I was manning the gogles. I landed, and after answering a few questions , passed the goggles on over and let them see what I was. The first guy said "Cool Drone" to which I quickly corrected him and said, "no, it's a quadcopter", and then stressed the negative reaction the word "Drone" in public. The second guy is a seasoned RC pilot who got his start flying with his dad in the mid '70's.
He did speak as he walked up behind me, but in a way not to startle me. "Flying POV, Huh?" was his querry. I flew back around towards me, pointed the camera at us, and then said, "Oh, it's you George." And he chuckled.

I let him don the goggles and he responded, "I gotta get back into this!" That's how addictive this stuff can be.

Back to the two batteries of full flights. Day one was in a different area of the vacant factory. There were still Power drops hanging from the ceiling, some safety guards that used to be around the grinding machines, two desks, and two metal structures that reached from floor to ceiling that used to support welding gas tanks. The room had windows on two walls, an opening to a garage/dock area, and then the walkway where I pulled up a chair was the fourth corner.
The floor had walkways painted on it which made for a nice "track" to follow throughout the room. So I am sitting in let's say the lower right side corner of the room. I would take off forward following the Right side wall. In front of me, a window with a 5 foot tall machine guard panel just before it to the left. This is my first corner, turning left.
At that point I am following the far wall going left with the painted walkway making a left turn at the midway point of the room. It is before, through, and after this left turn that I have at least 6 different power cords hanging from the ceiling dropping to about 7 ft above the floor. And there is a solid Fire Exit sign at the inside corner of that left. That's turn 2.
I continue heading back opposite the way I started and now have two options ahead of me. Another left would put me between the welding tank structure to my left and a desk on the floor to my right. Plenty of room up and down, minimal forgiveness to the left and 3/4 of my airspace to the right. That's turn 3A.
If I would continue forward choosing turn 3b, that would lead me to the 2nd welding tank fixture on the inside of the turn and the opening to the dock on my right. Here again, no clearance to the left, comfortable room on the right. Up and down limited by floor and a few network cables and power drops, but mostly close to the fixture on the left or higher to the ceiling than I plan to go. A swift left in this turn 3b will put me on a diagonal path in front of my flying seat.
From the exit of either 3a of 3b is a clear opening in front of my chair and a a a touch left points me towards the window and Machine Guard of turn 1.
First two laps were 1, 2, 3a, diagonal, 1..... The next lap I took the 3b turn and had a quick little run to turn 1. Was cool to hear the quad from across the room approach me on the left and go zipping by in my stereo headset, i.e. my natural hearing. Exciting parts were the power cords and sign of turn 2, and the zipping by after t-3b. Evasive actions were needed a few times. making me chuckle inside and changing my posture in the chair more than once.
I did find a short video "Tour", seems my inside view did not match up with my description, too much info coming at you at once I guess.
[video=youtube_share;JFkKBAT68QA]http://youtu.be/JFkKBAT68QA[/video]

The next day was in the area of the first factory floor video I shot. A bit more confident and a clearer space made for a bit quicker forward flight. No floor markers to go by on this one. Flying out forward I would mentally follow the same ccw path as I did in the other room. Turn 1 was the area of 5 power cord drops. diagonal across the room over scrap and debris to the center Post in the room. Here I keep the post as my inside and have to navigate through about 25 ft of power cord and network cable drops. Making it through those, I can make that turrn 2 left and diagonally pass myself and head back to Turn 1 again.
This room is more fun than I thought, The maze of drops around that turn 2 made for some surprising "non-crashes". I did hear a network cable get hit a couple of times. Did not take me out, but I could see and feel the twitch it produced.

After each battery I took off the goggles, unarmed the quad through the tx and said " Holy Crap! This is a blast! "

I really should have been wearing the FPV when trying to get those snow shots. But I fear if I did and still put it into the snow, it would still be buried today.

It happened, though there is no video to show for it.

Last edited:

Stambo

You are doing well to be in such a small space with obstacles and height constraints.
I am sure you will love it when you get outside and are able to crank it up a bit.

EyeStation

I found out you should not use Hot Glue to keep your KeyChain Camera Optics into position. Probably would not have been bad if I did just the lens housing, But I put a dab on the back of the CCD housing. Well the heat caused the optical pickup to now look like all the colors are Posterized. Looks pretty good for Hippy or Raver videos, but not what I want for my flight videos.

[video=youtube_share;Ik2zTcc7cPI]http://youtu.be/Ik2zTcc7cPI[/video]

So I broke down and picked up the C Lens Mobius.
Fits well in the front of the Wasp. Shot this with just Velcro between the frame and camera holder.
Not a good representation of the color due to the Blue/white headlamps of the quad. I like the feel of these cameras. The #808 Keycam seems like a toy now.

[video=youtube_share;twVeLNqxy0c]http://youtu.be/twVeLNqxy0c[/video]

Last edited:

Stambo

Value for money the Mobius is hard to beat.
If I had the money I would buy a second one.
If you get it hooked to your PC and change the settings to cloudy you don't lose the darker areas so much.

EyeStation

First outdoor FPV flight with the Wasp 280 Quad. Mobius View.

[video=youtube_share;9cJbWFNXyM8]http://youtu.be/9cJbWFNXyM8[/video]

Surprisingly calm piloting, have to work on the deceleration. seems to get rather close to the ground at mid stick.
Does anyone run anything other than a linear throttle curve?

Stambo

First outdoor FPV flight with the Wasp 280 Quad. Mobius View.

Surprisingly calm piloting, have to work on the deceleration. seems to get rather close to the ground at mid stick.
Does anyone run anything other than a linear throttle curve?

This is your first ever outdoor FPV flight?
If so, well done.
These little things need a lot more throttle manipulation to maintain altitude, after a while it becomes second nature.
I don't know of anyone that runs curves.
You will start anticipating altitude loss on turns and it becomes part of your coordinated turns.
You did all the right things, not too far, not too high, you kept it reasonably short and for the most part, you kept going forward.
Once you get a few more flights in, I suggest look for a big open area with short grass and few obstacles so you can get a little bit of speed on and not be worried about hitting something. A little higher and off you go.
Stick to the basics, stay close, not too fast, short flights and just cruise.

The sooner you can comfortably switch to acro the better.
It gives you much smoother flights and video, although it requires a bit more tuning to get it right.
Having said that, self level is the beginner FPVers best friend.
Learning FPV and learning to fly a minquad takes a lot of concentration, anything that helps should be taken advantage of. :)

Lee

You seem to have quite a lot of vibration in those last two videos, that you didn't have in the previous ones.
Did you damage any props, or move the camera mounting at all?
Fixed the links in your videos to appear in your post :)

Stambo

What is this Acro you are talking about?

Naze32 has 3 flight modes.
Angle -- Self level mode that limits the maximum angle of the quad to 50deg. You have to hold the stick where you want the quad to be, let go the sticks it self levels.
Horizon -- Similar to Angle except without the 50deg constraint. The sticks act like Angle until you get past half throw. You can do flips and rolls with self level as a safety net.
Acro -- More like a flybarred heli, it stops at whatever angle it is at when you let go the sticks. You have to bring it back to level. No constraints.
Acro gives you more locked in, smoother flight when the FC is set up right. Much better for smooth video.
For anyone that is new to FPV I strongly recommend Angle mode. Makes learning much easier.
First though it must be set up correctly.
On a calm day a quad should hover reasonably well hands off if self level is set up correctly.

EyeStation

You seem to have quite a lot of vibration in those last two videos, that you didn't have in the previous ones.
Did you damage any props, or move the camera mounting at all?
I was having problems getting off the ground and tipped it over a few times. I am sure I elongated the center holes of the Gemfan tri-props. It was the first thing I noticed when watching too.
Thanks for fixing those links my friend.

EyeStation

Had some time to burn two batteries at the local HS back lot. Quite a bit of unobstructed video signal. Only time I got static was when I was getting low following the little water spillway.
This is the second battery. Never took it off the low settings either. I'll save that for the next flight. 'Twas fun indeed.
[video=youtube_share;qKqnuu2K1Ao]http://youtu.be/qKqnuu2K1Ao[/video]

EyeStation

Third flight this morning, second battery with the goggles on.
[video]https://youtu.be/Iw6oq2xKFTI?t=34s[/video]
A new location after work this Saturday morning.
Just at the end of the street to the Lockport Police Department.
Had some wind hit when I cleared the houses on the West. At some point I kicked my rates up to the high position and she just nosed towards the ground. I got it corrected and quickly flipped down the rates to my middle position.
This was a fun little spot and just around the corner from my house and the local High School where the last two flights were.

Last edited:

EyeStation

Got the next 3 flights on their way up.
Here is FPV Flight 11 at Morris Park. The wind was still a bit occasionally gusty, but this thing is feeling pretty predictable.
I am not worried to much about the jello right now, as I am still learning how to fly it. I am getting close to trying to tune my settings though. I still seem to be all over the place.
[video]https://youtu.be/3lThUFmJgzw[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Wasp 280 FPV Flight 12,
[video]https://youtu.be/5255WpsKvd4[/video]

Top Bottom