450 Expo Help Please

j1273

Hi guys
I recently, thanks to Rc help vids understood D/R and expo.
Before I properly understood it, I had adjusted my expo all to -30% On my msr it was -100.
I have recently read on here and heard before that my expo should be set at +30%. So on my Sim saved model on my Dx6i, I changed the expos to +30%.
I now find the heli ( 450 pro) on the sim far too unresponsive to the point that it does not perform a fliup well at all.
Is there another setting Ive overlooked? I dont understand why it behaves like that if its a recommended setting!!
Any help apreciated
Cheers Jay

Tony

Staff member
Expo will not limit the travel of the servo, it just changes how the servo moves with stick movement. If you can not do a flip anymore, look at your travel adjustments and your dual rate, they may be too low. Anytime you are doing anything 3D, you want 100% travel and no dual rate programmed in. Hope this helps.

j1273

Thanks Tony
My travel adj is as follows
Thro 125
Elev125
Gyro125
Aile 100
Rudd 125
Pitch 125
D/R is set at 100%
Any of this look wrong?
Cheers Jay

Tony

Staff member
If you go into the negative on expo, you are speeding up the beginning movements of the sticks, but slowing them down out towards the end of the movements. If you to go the positive, then you are slowing down the movements at the beginning and speeding them up at the end. Just in case you have not watched it, check out the video below to see a visual on how expo works with stick movements.

Last edited:

j1273

Ok Tony thanks I will try setting expo at +30% again tonight and see how it goes on Phoenix. Im sure though from watching others fly online that their helis are lots more responsive than mine.
Thanks Jay

for what i understand that you are say is: if you tell the sim to flip forward and you have pushed the elevator up and it is not going the way you want it right?

You said that you put it to +30. Tony once said that the controls differ from person to person.set the expo to the way it feels good to you.For what you are saying try going to the "-" side. just remeber this the expo is like the sensativity.Like a mouse on a computer. some like it slower some like it faster. The "- " side is the side wheir it is more sensitive. Me... i go -10-15 on the elevator and the ailirons. And keep the rudder and about minus 3. Those settings work for me and i can do flips good. your controling it. Set it the way it feels good for you, not what others tell you to set it to if you know what i mean

j1273

Sorry didnt explain myself properly!!!
I have found that cyclic movements are simply too slow on phoenix if the expos are at + 30. The heli simply does not perform a flip or roll quick enough.
I have sat online on phoenix and watched others fly and with my expos set at +30 my heli does not perform these tricks as quickly as other pilots.
Now i have it set at +10. The heli ( on phoenix) now performs ok but for me it could still be quicker.
So for me i think that a -10 or about there is a good setting for me. Forgive my question but why is +30 recomended when it makes the heli so unresponsive?
Thanks for your help guys. Great vid on d/r and expo by the way Tony very well explained!
Jay

Tony

Staff member
Because you are doing it in a sim, and not in real life. When you grab ahold of a 450 in real life, and you set your expo to -30, it will be VERY twitchy. but +30 or even 40 and it will tame it down. There is no reason at all why the expo settings should hinder you from doing a flip or roll. At full stick movement, you are getting the same amount of servo travel out of the heli no matter what your expo setting is at. This I'm sure is a flaw in Phoenix.

j1273

Great
Thanks for your replies on this one.
Tony the last answer you gave was exactly what I was hoping for!!
When I finally set my Real 450 up I will dfinately be setting Expo to at least +30 as I have never flown anything other than a King 2!
Cheers Jay

Top Bottom