ESC/motor matchups

6Sally5

Hi Tony, just subscribed and am hoping you can help. I have a PZ T28 that I had been running a Turnigy 3635 1100kV motor, a Castle Thunderbird 54 esc and various brands of 2200ma 3S batts. It was a screamer...great power for hard aerobatics. After 5 min, temps on batt and esc were usually around 100-110 degrees. Had been getting hotter over last few weeks. One day, the esc literally smoked in flight (cool to see...looked like I'd been shot down, LOL!). I ordered from Hobbypartz an Exceed 1050kV 480 motor and Exceed 40a esc. While it runs nice and has decent power, it's lack-luster and I can't do the unlimited straight up climbs now. What is a good matchup? Can I keep the same esc and go to a higher kV motor? Thanks in advance.

Tony

Staff member
I will have to check this out when I get home. I'm at work right now and searches are a little hard. Sucks that you smoked that esc though. It lost all of it's magic smoke lol.

I will say this though. When you get a motor, check it's max amps. Then get an esc that is slightly higher than that then make sure your battery can handle the motor. And if you stay with the same size motor and just raise the kv, you will want to back down on the pitch of the prop so you can actually spin it faster without bogging the motor down.

Top Bottom