450 ESC/Governor Mode Question

DAL2855

Banned
I have the stock Align ESC the RCM-BL35X with my 450 Clone and am wondering about setting up the governor mode for it. Guys in another forum said I should be running a governor, which I did find out that this particular ESC does have the governor mode, but the manual only tells me how to enable it. Not how to adjust max headspeed. Is this possible with this type of ESC or do I just setup my Throttle curves to the recommended settings and enable the governor mode for the ESC and go from there and possibly adjust the throttle curve accordingly how the bird reacts now with the gov mode enabled?

Tony

Staff member
I have never run a gov on a 450, or even a 500. 600 and bigger you need a gov, and ALL nitros you need a gov. But on a 450, just shoot for about 2800 MAX on the head speed and you will be fine. If you are just starting out, set your throttle curve to 0 60 75 75 75 and you will have a flat curve when you are flying.

DAL2855

Banned
I was told Tony to use a governor, that you get a constant head speed. So naturally the helicopter becomes more consistent and more predictable on the controls when you have a constant head speed. I will probably end up going back to the stock gear set as the ones I installed have the head speed way too high. According to the head speed calculator I used, my head is turning around 4400-4500 at the beginning of the flight! This is way overspeeding the head!

Tony

Staff member
yeah, that is WAY too fast lol. I'm not sure how the Gov works on the ESC, but on my nitro, I just use my rpm sensor that is mounted to the cooling fan, then the Tx does calculations to show head speed and I just set the gain % until I get the HS that I"m looking for.

I think Stokke tried to use the Gov on his Align 450 Pro V2, but if I remember right, it was very VERY quirky in how it worked. Pretty much hit and miss.

In all honesty, the only time you will need a head to regain or try to sustain a HS is when you are just beating the ever loving crap out of it doing smack 3D. I'm talking Bobby Watts type 3D. If your just starting out doing light 3D like flips and rolls, I doubt you will even notice the Gov working.

DAL2855

Banned
No I won't be flying 3-D Tony, I don't even know how and with having a fuselage, I doubt you'd want to be attempting 3-D anyways. And I'm too big of a chicken to attempt 3-D flying anyways. The other guys told me to use a governor so that the bird would be more consistent on the controls.

Top Bottom