ESC ESC going bad?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I really don't know if my esc is going bad. This all happen today to my 450. I had problem with my esc making no noise or beeps first time but the heli binded. Next time after plugging the battery into the 450 and everything binded, I didn't have no throttle and sounded like the battery was going dead even though the battery is fully charged. After going through all my connections, everything check out OK. The third time after plugging the battery in, binding went well, I decided to fly and give it a try. Everything was going fine til the heli just dropped out of the air. Seem like someone just unplugged the heli. After dusting her off, checked her out, I decided to plugged her back in, just to see what happen and the heli acted like nothing was wrong. I don't know but I'm guessing it's time for a new ESC. This esc that's on the 450 is a 45a yep and it's about 3 yrs old, I'm guessing it's time for a new esc. I can use some advice on what cause my heli to drop out of the sky. Thanks! I do have a video of the heli falling out of the sky but I'm embarrass to post. :frown:

Smoggie

Hard to say what the problem is to be honest, in addition to the ESC it could be several things, off the top of my head:

• Battery old/tired causing voltage to sag and LVC to activate
  • Bad connection somewhere
  • Loss of reception
  • BEC problem
  • Servo problem causing high current drain leading to 'brownout'

Tony

Staff member
No reason to be embarrassed about that, it wasn't your fault.

This could be anything from a bad connection in the Rx to a bad plug on the ESC to a cold solder joint on the ESC board. You can ask just about anyone, I have never liked the YEP ESC's. I have been meaning to give them another shot, but just can't bring myself to it with all the other ESC's that are out there. For a 450 on 3s, I would just get the Align 35a and call it done. That is what I'm using on my Pro. If you are going to run 6s though, then you will want the 45a.

But check the connections and make sure they are tight and soldered good. Also, check the metal 'squares' that go over the pins in the Rx inside the plastic ESC plug. They could be getting loose.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you guys. Question, can the resistor " Barrel looking part on the esc, I think" cause this problem if the solder is broken on one of the barrels? I found that during inspection.

Tony

Staff member
Those are actually capacitors and it will cause more load on the ESC since it has to pull more 'instant' power from the battery. I would solder that back on as well.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Those are actually capacitors and it will cause more load on the ESC since it has to pull more 'instant' power from the battery. I would solder that back on as well.

Thank you for telling me that they're called Capacitors.:facepalm: Yeah I though you might say, "soldered that back on" so instead of messing around with a old/abused esc plus :warning:my soldering ability is that well, I decided to purchase this Hobbywing Platinum Pro 60A V4 60 Amp ESC [HWA30215100] | Helicopters - AMain Performance Hobbies and put that on my Gaui X3 and the esc that's on the X3 "HW 50a" will go on the 450. That should cure the problem:wink: I hope

Smoggie

If the capacitor had come loose there is a good chance that the ESC is toast. The capacitor protects the ESC from voltage spikes due to inductance in the wires between the battery and the ESC. If the cap was disconnected then the components in the ESC get damaged very quickly if not instantly. A new ESC is a good call, the HW 60A is a great choice.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
For a 450? It's a bit overkill. Like 500 size overkill, but will work. Just heavy.

No, it's not for the 450 Tony. The HW60a that's on it's way, is going on the X3 and the HW50a that's on the X3 will go on the 450. Your right about over kill but for the price for the esc minus $5.00 discount plus free shipping, I didn't want to pass it up. I got the HW60a with discount for $56.99/ free shipping when the HW50a is $56.75/ no free shipping. I'm tried dealing with oversea company and also takes to long to deliver their products.

Smoggie

The 50A and 60A are the same physical size and within a few grams of each other in weight. The 60A is also more advanced in that it has 'active freewheeling' making it more efficient and cooler running. So at the same price there is only one choice!

trainrider06

I now run a 100a ESC on my 500 thanks to my Castle 75a causing brown outs, I have a 60a HW on my 450L and at some point plan on gettin a 50a for my 450 Pro.
I'm finding that these servo's sometimes although seem to work ok without much of a load, but when put to a bit harder operation seem to draw more current causing stress on the ESC/BEC's that usually are recommended with the heli's. So for me it's just insurance. It's a helpless and expensive thing to watch your heli just slam to the ground or freeze up the servo's as it drifts away from you.

Derek

I don't know if my two cents makes much of a difference here but, since we were talking about the power that servos can and do pull, I thought I'd share my few setups.

On my Trex 600 Pro DFC, I have the Castle ICE 80HV along with a Castle BEC Pro 20amp
On my two Trex 500 heli's, I have a Castle 75amp esc along with a Castle 10amp BEC
On my Trex 450 Pro DFC, I have a Castle 50amp along with a Castle 10amp BEC.

It's certainly not necessary to run a BEC on the smaller helicopters but I just liked the idea of the constant power being supplied to the rx and servos.

trainrider06

no the AR7200BX has no BEC built in, the Hobby Wing however does. You can run a separate BEC but I think you have to unplug the Red wire from the plug that plugs into the FBL controller...
But with over kill you don't or should not have to worry about a separate BEC anyway....the 60 should be all you need...as well the 50 for the other bird....

Smoggie

The BEC built into the 60A Hobbywing ESC is rated at 18A burst and the 50A ESC has a 15A rated BEC. These are more powerful than most external seperate BECs, so you would effectively be downgrading if you went for something like the Castle 10A BEC

murankar

Staff member
The 60 amp is going to be Ideal on the X3 with 6S. For what ever reason the 60 amp Hobbywing is light by a few grams over the 50 amp Castle that I had on my X3. One of the big things is the active freewheeling. Castle does not have that on their ESCs as of yet. If I am not mistaken Castle uses passive freewheeling.

Top Bottom