Engine Test Stand Failure

pvolcko

8O

Holy cow. Mental notes: Always stand behind test stands. Always secure test stands (screw into posts, or cut some holes to c-clamp into).

Wow.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
unbalanced prop with vibration and a a c clamp with a little bit of laziness (or stupidity) = THAT

Tony

Staff member
And here I thought you tested that 160 size motor of yours with a 20x10 prop on it lmao. Didn't watch the video since it's not you. Can't burn the bandwidth...

Right from the work go, I was wondering how bad that was going to end!!
The guy is a turkey!
Think I used the same language as the guys above!!

Tony

Staff member
Dammit, had to watch and burn the bandwidth lmao.

Looked like a good design on the stand. But, should have screwed it down to a work bench. Looked to be about an 18"-20" prop though lol.

wolfman76

obviously a guy that can make that big of a mistake i wonder if he would even be capable of flying a plane that it would go on safely... I would have to be in a shark cage while he was flying to watch it...

Tony

Staff member
If you read the comments, this engine is in a plane working just fine. So I guess he can fly.

wolfman76

WOOOH SCARY THOUGHT!!!!! Then you would think he should have known better then to test an engine the way he did then huh??? One thing you can say is i am pretty sure he will never do that again....

Derek

And here I thought you tested that 160 size motor of yours with a 20x10 prop on it lmao. Didn't watch the video since it's not you. Can't burn the bandwidth...

Sorry for the false alarm, Tony! No, the above video is not of me. Over the past 1.5 years that I've been around "flying rc", I've seen hundreds of videos that reall concern me. I really find it "super scary" to see videos of people revving up their bigger motors/engines, on planes, and they stand right in front of the 12" (and bigger) props. I often wonder, "Are you sure that you have that motor mounted tight'" or "Are you sure that you have that prop mounted tight?" Then I come across the above video and I just knew what was going to happen....why didn't this guy? He messes with the choke (or something) and get the engine running and.....yep...I was right. I am a psychic. So now I ask...."Did you learn your lesson?" I only hope that he did.

Check out the video when you get home, if you want to see an "idiot" at work.

As far as my engine test stand, I will probably start that build today. I will have to order the prop from some where online. I went to my LHS and the biggest prop they had was one 16" prop. I'll probably go look on A Main Hobbies.

Tony

Staff member
Go to A main or Tower Hobbies and get it. I have ordered ALL of my APC props from Tower. Great price and never an issue with them.

And I did watch it hence my latest reply in post #13. Couldn't resist it lmao.

Derek

Another one for the Darwin award.

Tony and I were just talking about the "Darwin Award" the other night. He seems to think that I'm in line for a "Darwin Award." Prior to talking with him, the other night, I had never heard of it.

According to Wikipedia, a Darwin Award is this:

The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor, originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions circa 1985. They recognize individuals who have contributed to human evolution by self-selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization due to their own (unnecessarily foolish) actions.

Too funny!!!

murankar

Staff member
Every gene pool needs a little chlorine. This guy was either not thinking or was tired. Wither way stand behind and/or mount with bolts.

Top Bottom