General EDGE Tail Blades

Dirk

I picked up a pair of EDGE tail blades for my 450 over the weekend. Nothing wrong with the stock Align blades. I just liked the shape and the white color of the EDGE blades.

I decided to check the balance of the blades, probably because the weather was crap the whole weekend and I had nothing better to do. I stuck a rod through the mounting holes and put the whole thing on a couple of knife blades. Guess what. Yip, the one blade dropped down as if there was a ton of weight strapped to it. I balanced them with some clear vinyl on the blade C.O.G. Perfect now.

Do any of you guys ever check your tail blades for balance?

pvolcko

On my 550 and 700, yes. On my 300 and smaller, no. I actually did try on the 300X tail blades, and while they were out of balance, I tried to balance them and it make a shaking problem worse. And the tape wouldn't stick to the textured plastic surface of the blades all that well. But on the larger helis, yep.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
NOw this is similar to main blade balancing.. if you stuck a rod through the two and just added weight where you cold get them to stay level.. you might just have screwed up the "weight" of the blades. Please refer to Tony's how to balance blades section. "weigh" each blade first (without the tape) and add only where the COG lies for them. YES they are small blades but COG is easy to find.

TAIL Blades can cause a HUGE vibration and can rip your tail apart .. they are running 5 times faster so more vibes. please, before you put them on and fly, check them again with the correct way to blade balance.

Tony

Staff member
I have removed the how to balance video. There was a HUGE error in it. Just use the sea-saw balance method, it works just fine.

Dirk

Thanks Gaba,

I did put the tape on the CG of the blades. I did it the same way as my main blades. Got the CG first, then put a rod through and then applied the tape to get the balance right.

Top Bottom