Edge 540T EXP

Ken Jackson

I was told it can be rebuilt, but I've never had a balsa plane so to me it looks totaled. The wings, elevator and rudder were unharmed. The electronics are fine and the battery seems to be OK.

20160722_194754 resized.jpg20160722_194759.jpg

A week and a half later a guy contacted me on messenger, he had seen my crash video and had a friend selling his 540. So I picked this up the other day. Going to maiden it tomorrow, weather permitting.

View attachment 20160810_210411.jpg20160812_185609 resized.jpgEdge 540t b.jpg

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the video link for my 540 thread

Back yet again! What's going on?

20160722_194754 resized.jpg

20160722_194759.jpg

View attachment 20160810_210411.jpg

20160812_185609 resized.jpg

Edge 540t b.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
It can be repaired, but it's going to be a lot of work. Most important part is getting the motor angle correct and true. But since you have another one now, I guess there is no reason to now.

And welcome to the balsa family. Nothing flies like balsa IMO.

RandyDSok

As Tony said... it can be rebuilt

... and if you want... you can even order replacement parts including a whole fuse if needed....

That looks like a 48" ... if so here is the link to the parts available 48" Edge 540

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes.... we just have to own it....

48ExtraSHP.jpg

I did repair this one... but I got a fuse and canapy instead of doing a rebuild

48ExtraSHP.jpg

Smoggie

ARF's are not easy to repair. The complex interlocking plywood structure, although very light and stiff, in a crash shatters like crystal glass. Looking at your photo, it's not just the nose, the fuselage side is also broken at the trailing edge of the wing. Of course it 'can be' rebuilt if you have the skill and determination but it's far from straightforward. By the time you have purchased the canopy, covering materials, maybe a cowl, wood, glues, etc then it's most likely just about as cheap to buy another complete fuselage anyway.

Ken Jackson

Fuselage is around $89, whole new kit is $179, I'm on a waiting list as new Extreme's just went back in production. They were saying 8-10 weeks before they have any stock. I may just let it go and try not to crash anymore, LOL. Thanks, Randy looks like about the same crash damage. Why is there a gas meter in the yard behind you??

ken

RandyDSok

The gas meter... this housing edition was built in the late 70's so the easements were all in the the rear of the yard and where they would place the meter. Now, the gas company is placing the meter's at the house and repair up too the meter, but they won't move it there unless there ends up being a leak to require the work first.

Top Bottom