General Easy helicopter to fly?

xokia

Thinking of buying a helicopter for the wife. It would have to be really easy to fly and e able to fly outdoors. Preferably bind to a spectrum transmitter but not a requirement. Any recommendations?

Really easy would be one of the big lama's with the coaxial system.
Being new myself, I've flown the MCPX which is a bit small to fly outside if there is any sort of breeze around. I'm setting up a 450 at the moment. I think from what I've read, and what my next build will be, it will come down to what you want to spend on the bird (helicopter not wife)
I've been looking at doing a build with an IKON flybarless system, and from what I understand is that you can set it up so that you can make a 500 bird fly almost like a coaxial one. I wanted that feature to try and dumb down the bird a bit so that the old man can fly it without too many issues, and then slowly speed it up and make it that bit more exciting

xokia

Cost really isn't an issue my time however is. I want it to be bnf or rtf because it will probably sit and be neglected most of the time.

Tony

Staff member
If she has never flown before and needs to learn orientations and such, get her a Blade mCX. it's a coax and it hands off stable. If she has flown before, get her an mSR. DO NOT get her the mcpx. They are collective pitch and very twitchy.

Stambo

Sorry Tony :)
My suggestion would be a V911 from banggood.
Really easy to fly, still 4 channel, really robust, small enough to fly indoors and can handle a small amount of wind.
These things just hang in the air with little to no stick input.
It taught me nose in orientation and figure 8s.
It may be Chinese but anyone who owns one will tell you how good they are.

Tony

Staff member
I would still suggest the mSR over that one. But, different strokes for different folks.

Westy

LEGEND
IF you want budget .... and bullet proof. good Fixed pitched heli .... under $80 bucks and includes 4 channel TX

.............. I have got one on order for my son .. will teach him the basics ... you can fly it in a breeze and it is bullet proof ... can handle the smack downs....

If you buy it .... get it through one of Tony's banners to them BAnggood dot com.

20120916095557734.JPG

Stambo

Yup that's the one Westy. I got two of them and I love em.
I can't comment on the msr as I have never flown one.

Westy

LEGEND
Well I can certainly Vouch for the Quad you suggested ... it has been slammed about 50 times and not batted an eylid (if it had them!) .... So I cant wait to get the Heli!

Lee

Remember he ask it to bind to a Spektrum.
Blades MCX or MSRX will do that.

stokke

I started on the Nine Eagles Solo Pro 228 4CH Fixed Pitch (RTF). It was a very good beginner model in my opinion.

callsign4223

Staff member
I would really suggest a quad. They are super stable and will let her learn orientations. The issue with coax and fixed pitch helis is that they don't handle wind well at all, even larger ones. If she learns on a quad, then her thumbs will start to get the muscle memory they need, while getting a largish quad will allow her to fly outside.

Hey Matt,
that's actually not a bad idea, it could be a way to get my wife interested and involved in a few of my hobbies.
setting it up as a camera platform, and I might be able to get her into flying and doing the photos for my husky racing and mountain biking occasionally

xokia

Thanks guys I've heard good things about the 911 myself. And to be completely honest I doubt she will even try to learn anything about the heli. It goes up it goes down that is all she will care. I thought about the 120sr but heard its more difficult to fly. Nine eagles is out of the question. I wasn't thrilled with the one I purchased before.

How hard are finding parts for a 911?

Westy

LEGEND
once I get the V911 in my hot little hands .... I will put it in my sons hands and I will grab the camera and lets see how it goes in the hands of someone that has never flown a heli ...

I guess that will be the acid test! :)

xokia

once I get the V911 in my hot little hands .... I will put it in my sons hands and I will grab the camera and lets see how it goes in the hands of someone that has never flown a heli ...

I guess that will be the acid test! :)

Yea please report back how it does. And how it flies outside.

what do you guys think of walkera? I saw this thing that claims auto stabilization along with being fixed pitch and flybared. They say it flies like a coax.

Walkera 2.4Ghz CB180Z Shaft Driven Helicopter w/ Auto Stabilizing Gyro & Brushless Motor/ESC/Lipo

*edit* scratch the 180z I read some reviews online and they break to easy. The V911 I hear is pretty durable but very small thats my only complaint. I have enough helicopters to maintane already I dont need another one.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
If some one gave me a Walkera ..... I would do 3 things:

1. Thank them and make sure they have no other plans for it....

2. make them wait there for a minute.

3. put it on the fence and BLOW IT TO BITS WITH MY PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN!!!!!

Ahhhhhh he sighs with satisfaction ... now it is out of its misery

- Too many moving parts
- my mat had 2 and had such a bad run with them.... one never ever left the ground in one piece

- - - Updated - - -

Yea please report back how it does. And how it flies outside.

what do you guys think of walkera? I saw this thing that claims auto stabilization along with being fixed pitch and flybared. They say it flies like a coax.

Walkera 2.4Ghz CB180Z Shaft Driven Helicopter w/ Auto Stabilizing Gyro & Brushless Motor/ESC/Lipo

*edit* scratch the 180z I read some reviews online and they break to easy. The V911 I hear is pretty durable but very small thats my only complaint. I have enough helicopters to maintane already I dont need another one.

I will ... let you know ... will take some vids .... unfortunately, big and durable are not common in the heli world...... too much mass and too many things flying around one another ..... can only end in one thing in in experienced hands... CARNAGE! :witless:

Top Bottom