1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Batteries Duff battery doh

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Slobberdog, Mar 7, 2013.

< Imax B6 Charger | Voltz 6250 and 350W power supply >
  1. Slobberdog

Slobberdog Well-Known Member

Gone to charge my battery that I used for a few minutes of hovering 4 max, last night and had an error message come up on my charger, brand new battery only been charged once and only been hovered once with a little bit of use for set up.

Digi volt meter says 8.7 volts :disturbed:

So logged a ticket with, come on guess, HK. We will have to see what they say, lol,

Anyways what batts do you use, this was turnigy, :(

2. breeze400

breeze400 Spagetti Pilot

Truck Driver
    That's what I use but the nano tecks. It's probably just out of balance.

3. coolgabsi

coolgabsi Super Mod & DEAL KING!

Engineer
    I love my turnigy a and nano techs they fly awesom. Been flying them for over a year now. Bad batteries can happen.. True!

This a 3 cell battery? 8.7 is pretty low. Brand new... Then yes I would have them change it for you

I use turnigy batteries on my 700 too (12cell setup)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

4. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I have 4 Turnigy batteries and 3 Nano Tech's. All have worked flawlessly so far.

5. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Soldier
    3 GensAce 2200 mah 25c packs. These things take a licking and keep on ticking. Good luck getting them, they are almost always out of stock.

6. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

I have never had an issue with a Turnigy battery, just ask Matt (callsign4223), he now owns them lmao. But, because of being ripped off 100 too many times from China, I'm switching over to Pulse batteries from now on. I'm done with their crap over in china.

And, what I would do is pin out the battery and check each cell with a volt meter. If you find one that is low, you can do westy's method of charging just that one cell which can work sometimes. I have been able to take two AA batteries in series (3vDC) and plug it into that one cell for one second to give it a surface charge, enough to get the charger to see it as a good cell and then let it do it's balance thing. However, you do this at your own risk and it could short out the pack and possible start a fire.

7. Westy

Westy LEGEND

yep ... what he said! it is just to get that low cell up to within the Tolerances of the ECU on the Batt Charger.... it should be all sweet...... just set it up as a single cell charge.

8. Slobberdog

Thanks guys I have raised a warranty claim with them so we will just have to see,

9. Tony

I hope all goes well for you.

10. Slobberdog

Thanks Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Tony if I use a non balance charger will it pick up the cell voltage enough to then balance afterwards, just curious, as if they won't replace I would like a backup plan per say, I don't like giving up on things,

11. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Extreme Sports Instructor
    You can set the charger to Nihm setting and charge it on a very low amp eg 0.5A to bring the low cell up to a point that the charger will recognise it. then switch back to Lipo. There are many videos on youtube explaining this.
    DO it at your own risk though!!

12. Tony

I think I would rather do it by the cell as stated before.

This is another option, but the bold font in read says it all.

13. Slobberdog

Guys I don't want to be silly for what is £10 sixteen dollars ish, I am not gonna worry to much.

Anyway picked up a couple of 2250 33c bats on way into work as I was passing the model shop, cost a couple of pound per battery more but no wait for delivery.

14. Slobberdog

Guys an update,

Just been asked to provide more pictures for hobbyking of each cell voltage and a total voltage again here's my results.

Cell 1 - 2.95 v
    Cell 2 - 3.08 v
    Cell 3 - 3.15 v

Total - 9.18 v

Low and behold it gained charge and now allows me to charge it.

Curious it is, how why, no evidence of puffing so am watching it charge now, been going for 12 mins no heat in battery and is up to 11 v.

By golly I might have just got away with this, :D

Oh can someone recommend an in flight battery warning product or does no one use them.

15. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Extreme Sports Instructor
    It happens quite a lot. Batteries arriving with a low cell. After a few charges they settle into a balanced state again.
    There are many low voltage alrams on ebay. THIS Type i use. Its very load, and small enough to fit on your heli without getting in the way.

16. Slobberdog

Thanks Lee, just hard to believe that it could gain 0.5 v without touching it, lol, not that I am complaining........

17. Tony

That is what you call a residual charge. sometimes you get lucky and one will bring it's self up a bit. Adding a little heat from a hair dryer will also do the same thing.

18. Slobberdog

Well had to charge it in two stages, as i had to go out, took a while battery got to 12.58 v well balanced over the three cells, put approx 1430mah back into the battery.

Well guess I had a lucky escape there.........

19. Slobberdog

You gotta love translation, told hobbyking customer service, my battery voltage came back and was able to charge it again, the reply I got, please send through photos of the battery voltage per cell so we can see fault. And this was supposed to be from someone named John, lol

20. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Soldier
    Chinese folks have two names their birth name that they use with their country men and their business name which is usually an American name. I learned this when working shipping and receiving for a metal plating company.

< Imax B6 Charger | Voltz 6250 and 350W power supply >