General Dual Rates & Expo

Matt

If I was to set the dual rates and expo the 450 would be easier to fly? I couldn’t do 3D but for forward flight and stuff like that I would be easier to fly (less jumpy)?

What would be good beginners setting?
75% dual rate and 35% expo?

The 450 is quite the machine and want to make it easier to do forward flight with it..

Matt

I did watch that video. Made me think if I set the cyclic servos to 75% d/r and added some expo it would be more stable. The 450 is a handful for a beginner. My 150 has 3 settings (beginner, intermediate and expert) on the beginner mode I can do forward flight no problem. Was thinking if I did the d/r on the 450 it would be easier to fly and do forward flight. I also think with the d/r set at 75% it would be almost impossible to do 3D but not looking to do 3D.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, that video has some of the technical information in it so I will skip that part.

The term "easier to fly" is going to be different for ever person. Dual rate is going to limit the maximum throw of the servo whereas expo (or exponential) is going to alter how that travel happens at a given stick placement. If you are finding your flips and rolls are not fast enough, then you need to reduce the amount of dual rate you have in your Tx (get the number closer to 100 rather than 0). If you are finding the helicopter very twitchy when just hovering or making very small stick movements, then adding positive expo (NEVER add negative expo in a spektrum Tx, it will speed up the beginning throws) will help tame down that center stick movement or the "shaky hands syndrome".

As for numbers, I tell everyone to start out with 70% dual rate and +35% expo. Just be sure you have MAX throws before you set any DR/Expo. Once you have done all that, it is just time to go out and fly pack after pack and set it to what feels good for you. The settings I use you may hate and the settings the Matt (you or my admin lol) uses I may hate. It is a trial and error thing. But we will help any way we can.

Matt

I’m going to try to set the d/r on the 450 and see if I feel better about how stable it is. I’d like to get to a point with the 450 where I can do circles and figure 8’s with out worrying about crashing into something.

Tony

Staff member
It will not help any with stability, that is going to be all in the setup of the helicopter. All DR/Expo is going to do is tame down the stick movements so they are not so abrupt or have such a long stroke on the servo.

Matt

I think or am pretty sure my 450 is set up as best I can. I’m getting 2/3 seconds of hands off hover. The swash is 100% level. I’m getting -.2/-.3 degrees of negative pitch at center stick. I’m getting a +11/-11 pitch at full throw. I’ve got +6/-6 degrees of cyclic throw. I’m pretty sure everything is set up right. I’m pretty sure it is pilot to make it better. I’m not quite the best pilot and do move the sticks just a little too much. I tried 45% expo but I’m thinking if I add d/r that will be the best I can do. I’m going to try the d/r. I have a feeling that will do it and I’ll be able to move on to bigger and better things.

Tony

Staff member
No worries on not being the best pilot, I'm sure you are better than I am at this point lol. Try the settings I posted above and see how it goes.

Tony

Staff member
sweet deal. Keep playing with it and you will find a setting that you can fly every day with.

Top Bottom