Spektrum DSM2/X

crashbash

Hi guys I am looking to get me a DX6I to replace my futaba 7c should I be looking at getting the latest model with DMSX or will any old second hand one be ok, any pitfalls I should look out for.
Cheers Rob

Tony

Staff member
DXM2 will only hook to one frequency whereas DXMX will look at every one of them that is available, and connect to at least two signals just in case one fails. That being said, my DX6i was DXM2 and I never had an issue. If you are flying where there is a lot of signal traffic, then get the DXMx, otherwise just get the DXM2. Just make sure it's not one of the first ones to come out that had a recall issue. Those will cause your plane to crash since the sticks stop responding because the pots are bad. Hope this helps.

RandyDSok

Actually.... DSM2 selects two clear channels from the many 2.4Ghz channels when it starts up but it's "fatal flaw" is that it never rechecks those channels to see if they get noisy later which can lead to a lock out... DSMX improves on the design of DSM2 by still selecting 2 channels... then it hops among the 2.4Ghz channels checking to ensure the selected channels are clear as it hops. So the advantage of DSMX over DSM2 go beyond just the number of pilots it can safely support at any one time... it also ensures the channels it is selecting to use are the clearest before it moves to them.

IMO... Moving from a Futaba 7c to a Spectrum DX6i is a step back.... The DX6i has less servo travel available to it... the switches aren't user assignable, it doesn't support triple rates.... Now on the otherhand, the DX7s could ( arguably of course ) be considered much more radio than the Futaba 7c ( IMO hands down in fact ).... The only issue I'd have at this time with suggesting a DX7s .... is that the DX8 is only about $50 and a much better deal all around ( between these particuler radios at least ).

I'm a Futaba guy all the way... but since DSMX came out, my only technical complaint went away... Still, I wouldn't trade my Futaba 8FGH for a Spectrum DX8... it would be a step down... but I'd buy the DX7s or DX8 ( with DSMX ) over Futaba's 7c everyday of the week.

Randy

Top Bottom