General Drift with Yaw and Cyclic Gain

Hi

Brand spankin new to the forum. Was looking at the video's on youtube and im searching for a fix for drife when yawing.

Had a response thankyou from RC Help and suggested increasing the cyclic gain. could someone perhaps explain how i might do this and more importantly what it does, im presuming it might improve the stability in Elev aileron?

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I moved this into the beginner help area. We don't allow any posts in the lounge that apply to tech support. the lounge is only for off topic chat.

Now that we have some more space to chat, we can better help you out.

To adjust your cyclic gain, you will use the two pots on the top of the 3GX gyro. There is one for Ail, or aileron, and Ele, or elevator. When you are ready to set these pots, you should have the helicopter hooked up to your computer. There is a menu to the far right where you can see the gain that yo uhave set. Most everyone has great success with a setting of 105.

I would hook up the helicopter to the computer and set both of those to 105 then try it and see what that does. If it's still drifting bad, you can raise it a little more. do this until you get a cyclic shake (you will know it when you do) then back it down about 5 points. You can only do this in the computer software so that you can see it.

when you turn the pots, they are very sensitive, So a small movement will move the number 5-10 points.

If you are not using a 3GX, let us know and we will help you out. One thing to remember, it's very hard to get a perfectly stable piro. There are a lot of forces in place when you start adding rudder to the helicopter and you will never be able to get all of the drift out of it. That is where your orientation drills come in. No matter what orientation your heli is in, you should have practiced your orientation drills enough to know how to compensate teh drift if it's pretty bad. This takes practice, and a LOT of it.

Doh! apologies for posting in the wrong forum, amazed you found me!

thanks very much for the tips, i'll take a look at the gain tomorrow and try out the settings. Damn frustrating when you see someone on youtube piroette as if the thing has a steel poll driven through the middle of it whilst mine resembles a cruise ship in a typhoon.
Hopefully ill see an improvement. The sim (Phoenix 4) is very good and there is an element of drift given but more than on my Trex so im guessing there is some work to be done on the settings AND the pilot.

Thanks again

Tony

Staff member
One other thing to check out is your CoG. If you are off quite a bit, you will get a lot of drift.

as for finding you, not a problem. I read every single thread that is posted on this forum. I may not reply to all of them, but I do read all of them.

Check out the video below to see how to check your CoG on a FBL helicopter.

RC Helicopter CoG Tip - YouTube

Top Bottom