600 dr and expo

Rikrik51

hi folks my heli flying is definitely improving but still finding both my trex`s (not sure what the plural is!!) a bit skittish or overly responsive for me and yes i know i`ve started with 3d helis but i want to calm them down a little more, i would like some suggestions for d/r and expo settings,i do know what these things are but feel free to go into as much detail as you like lol
Regards,
Rick.

Smoggie

I dont use dual rates as I find if I have different rates in different flight modes it gets confusing, I prefer a more consistent feel between flight modes. But i use exponential, typically on the aileron and elevator channels I'll have 25-35% expo. If you fly Spektrum / JR you use positive exponential to 'soften' the initial response, with Futaba it's the opposite (you need negative expo)

With flybarless you can also soften the responsiveness by adjusting the agility and flight style settings in the FBL software.

RandyDSok

With dual rates... you are limiting the total amount of servo travel that your transmitter stick can produce on the model. The amount of travel is linearly increasing consistently amount across the full movement of your stick. It's probably a little easier to understand when seen on an airplane.... Say you have 2 rates on your elevator, one at full and one at 50%. Lets say at 100% rate your elevator moves 3" when your stick is moved to it's fullest extent... at 50% it would only move 1.5" when the stick is moved to it's fullest extent. The amount of movement during the first part of the stick movement is consistent and the same as the last part. In otherwords... at the 100% rate if you move your stick 1/3 of the way of it's full travel... your elevator would move about 1" ( in the example given ) and each additional 1/3 movement the elevator would move another 1"

Here is a graph of a 100% dual rate showing a straight linear progression of stick movement vs the control surface movement.... ( ignore the ghosted out background levels that are shown, they aren't relevant here )

Full_Linear.jpg

Here is a 50% dual rate showing that the full movement of the stick only results in a 50% movement of the control surface

50_Linear.jpg

With exponential... the amount of movement of your transmitter stick produces a movement at the control surface that increases or decreases exponentially across it's movement range.

An approximate 50% expo set to "soften" ( decrease ) the control surfaces movement during the first part of the sticks travel vs the later part where it increases until it reaches the full amount of movement for the rate that is selected.

Decrease_Expo.JPG

Here is the reverse of that... where the stick is more sensitive during the first part of travel producing more control surface movement than it does during the last portion of stick movement.

Increase_Expo.JPG

One final bit of info.... You can use both D/R and Expo together if you wish.

As to which is best for someone... there isn't a single answer that will fit everyone. It's subjective and will be unique for each person. I prefer a D/R over an Expo because I judge how much stick I am using based on the response the model has made. I move the stick until the model responds the way I want it to respond but.... I fly planes and not heli's. If for some reason I don't get as quick of a response as I'd like, I increase the rate. If I want to fly aggressively... I'm going to be using full rates and if I want to just take things easily... I'll switch on a lower rate ( I typically setup 3 rates on my models ). Typically while I'm flying and making maneuvers, I'll have on my high rates... when landing I switch over to my medium or low rate.

Rikrik51

Tnx guys,should have mentioned that I'm starting to dabble in fixed wing a little so I found both posts interesting and relevant, I have got the softest setting in fbl unit and some expo is in order I think smoggie,

Tony

Staff member
I always suggest starring out with 70% dual rate and +35% expo to help tame it down. You can always adjust these figures later when you get a feel for what the helicopter is doing.

Top Bottom