Motors Double check your motor Shaft size and save some money

sarconastic

I have 3 different mystery 2212 motors that I picked up pretty cheap. One is labeled mystery the other two are not. All three are 2212 1000kv yellow motors. The first one I had on my Black Rc-Help trainer and crashed it several times, with nothing hurt on the motor at all. The second I put on my White trainer and it flew 20 feet and nosed in lightly and the shaft was bent. This was not even a direct hit. I finally hit hard enough with the black plane that it bent the shaft on that motor. So I put the spare motor I had on it. Flew it a couple times, then had a mild nose over on landing, and bent the shaft. I was starting to get perturbed thinking it must just be the cheap Chinese motors. I got lucky and had one good one. Until I tried to get a replacement shaft for them and I noticed something

I used my calipers on one bent shaft and it measured 3.0mm exactly. I measured the other one and got 3.17mm or 1/8". The motor that held up real well is the one with the larger shaft and that held up the best. I looked at a couple of ads for the motors and found the 3mm is the old style that did have a problem with the shaft bending way to easily. The new model is the larger shaft and it is hardened as well. But they are still selling the old on in some places so check them out when you get them . I even received one with the 3.17mm shaft but they sent a smaller 3.0mm prop adapter and it wouldn't fit on the shaft until I reamed it out.

Good Luck

Woody

Top Bottom