450 Diving right in, Blade 450 3d

rwhwwi

This is my first helicopter (Blade 450 3D). Bought it used, got home, bonded it to my DX6i, set it up per the book and tried to fly it. No go, no lift.

Since then I have read and watched most of the tech notes and you tubes, (that is how I found this site).

I have managed to take out the main gear now, so I am waiting for one from St.Louis.

While I have been waiting I have done more measuring.

The main blades have an offset, that is to say, the pitch when the blades are in line with the body are different, even after rotating the blade so each measurement is taken from same spot above the tail boom, or in front of the cockpit.
The tail boom rotor tail vertical fin is not at 90' to the boom.

So, I am looking at a full set up. Tools I am looking at are a set of ball link pliers, and flybar leveling clamp (I may make this) and a swash plate leveling tool. Is there any other must haves?

I guess I have to dive into the set up before I can get my first flight.

Bob

Smoggie

Is this the version with a flybar? If so you need to fix the flybar in position before measuring blade pitch. Tony has a great video on setting up a flybar head.

I'm not very familiar with the Blade 450 but on other models it's quite common for the tail boom to rotate in the tail boom mount. Sometimes a little tape is required around the tail, boom so that the clamp gets a better grip on it.

rwhwwi

Yes it has the flybar head. And yes I have already watched the flybar setup video. It really helps one understand how the flybar head is setup.

I stabilized the flybar while using a digital pitch gauge to check the blade pitch.

Thanks for the reply.
Bob

Bob

rwhwwi

Okay, I installed the main gear today. The hardest part was putting the lower bolt back in. Then I pulled the head off and did a tie wrap swash level. I just kept pace with the video watching an adjustment and then doing mine. I have about .5 degrees between blades that I can't seem to out. It is not a perfect setup +10.6 up and -9.8. It does hover, which it did not do before. I find keeping the blades level in a hover hard to do. I not sure whether it is my lack of skill or the craft itself.

Now I have to wait to go to the flying field on a windless day.

Bob

KLA

One thing that you need to remember while flying a CP helicopter is that every action requires a reaction. A flybarred heli does not self level. Every time you move the cyclic stick (right stick) you have to move it in the opposite direction to counteract or level out the heli. If you move the right stick to the right, you have to move it back to the left to level out the heli. The heli will not level out on its own. Also, use very small movements. CP helis are very touchy so it only requires a very small movement of the stick to control the helicopter.

rwhwwi

One thing that you need to remember while flying a CP helicopter is that every action requires a reaction. A flybarred heli does not self level. Every time you move the cyclic stick (right stick) you have to move it in the opposite direction to counteract or level out the heli. If you move the right stick to the right, you have to move it back to the left to level out the heli. The heli will not level out on its own. Also, use very small movements. CP helis are very touchy so it only requires a very small movement of the stick to control the helicopter.

Thanks for the reply.

I am still waiting for a windless day to go with some that can fly one of the these.

I really can see what you mean. Very touchy.

Bob

Top Bottom