Did the GYRO cook it or is it something else?

I fitted a GY401 with a DS420 to the tail of my 250 on Friday and this morning when I fired her up the Servo was way too hot to touch, now its dead..

Whats happening..?
Was it the Gyro? Is it faulty? am I doing something wrong here..... all the wiring is as before when she was flying...

I'm using a DX7 Radio

Anyone experienced this?

Tony

Staff member
As stated in the other thread, I have never seen a 420 go out like this. If that is a Futaba gyro, I see no reason why it would cook a digital servo. Did you have it set to digital?

This really sucks bro. I didn't realize you had killed it in the other thread. If you want a dead solid tail and a warranty, get a 420/780 combo. It's about $200 USD, but well worth it for a rock solid tail. And, it's a MEMS gyro, so temp changes won't affect it. And, it holds much better than the 401.

OK.. its lunch time here in Austria and I have been back to the ALIGN dealer, to my surprise they gave me a new DS420 right away with out asking any questions... that was great.. now what do i do with it?
Put it back on the 250 with the 401 and burn it again? I have some other gyros here but they are off an old 450 but I guess its worth the try..?

Would it be that I just got a dud SERVO?
Anyone else ever have a GYRO cook a servo?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Gyro can cook a servo when it's angry! Lol

As tiny said did you set it to digital with that little dip switch?

If its the original gy401, man that's a very very trusted gyro! I had it on my nitro heli too!

Tony

Staff member
Who the hell is tiny? :chuckles:

You can try to put it on that gyro again, just keep an eye on the temp. My honest opinion is to get an Align GP780 or GP790 and put on there. It's really cool they replaced it for you, but would they do it again if you killed this one? There could be an issue with the gyro, or it could be the hard tail wag you had. Lower the gain in the Tx, and reduce the throw on the gyro if you want to try it again, but keep touching that servo. First signs of it getting hot, shut it down and get a different gyro.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
My phone likes to call you tiny for some reason! Seriously!

I like it.. I think I am gonna let it.. Lol ;) Heehee

Its an Original 401 and yes it is unnerving... Ill give it a go in the morning and see what happens...

Thanks for the help again Tony. Or is it Tiny?? :wink:

Tony

Staff member
Oh you don't want to go there hahaha.

Yeah, if it was my heli, I would hook it up to the 401 because they are used by thousands, if not millions of people without issue. However, if it's been in a big crash, it may be damaged. I would just spool it up to right before takeoff, let the tail do it's thing for about 30 seconds at a time, shut it down and feel that servo. If at any time it's more than "warm", I would be looking for another gyro.

Top Bottom