Diagnosing Video Camera and SDCard issues

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share an experience I have just had .... I must have been tired and hte old noggin was not working as good as it should have been. I had an issue yesterday with my new HD camera and was not able to view or copy my videos off the Camera to the PC.

Basically you plug my camera directly into the PC and it senses the card and loads it Into Windows as a removable disc. Well it showed the disk and its contents ... and when you tried to play it, it wall go for a short while and then die .... (Hang). When you try to copy the file .... it starts to copy and then fails saying file not found.

Re booted the PC ... no change, so not driver issue related.

So ...... I thought it might have been the new Camera ...... but when I tried it in my GO PRO .... it had the same issue ..... Then... I thought it was the SD card (Dont know why but as is said I must have been tired)

So I formatted it losing all my latest videos I had done :(..... Today I tried taking a short video and low and behold it was still not working. :(

SO I thought .... hmmmm .... perhaps it is a Data Integrity issue with the cable...... WHALLAH! Problem solved.

So if any of you have any issue like this in the future, try a different cable first!

Ha ha ...... Have a great day!

Tony

Staff member
I would have mentioned that last night, but I thought that you had plugged the card directly into a card reader. I didn't realize that you had a USB cable on all of them. Glad you got it figured out though. And if you didn't do a full format (quick only) there are programs out there that will pull the videos off of the card.

Westy

LEGEND
I dont have a card reader, that is part of the issue LOL......

I did a full Format unfortunately... I have all the recovery programs to format drives etc....

I would normally have started at the cable and gone from there .... but my head was wrecked .... as was about 1am

BOKI

Westy; I have the same problem bought a Targus portable card reader! They hold 3 different size cards & you plug it in your USB port & it will read it usually right away! For some reason the computer won't always load the pictures! I give My daughter my portable card reader & she loads my pictures on her computer! Don't know the reason why the SD card won't always read the card in the computer reader! Hope this helps! Dave Walmart or Target or camera shops sell the portable readers & they are cheap!

Last edited:
Top Bottom