Derek's Trex 500 is in the air!!!

Tony

Staff member
It's nice to see it seeing some forward flight! The tail was still moving just slightly like the gain was a tad too high, but still not enough to really worry about. If you go into FFF and make a right turn and the tail starts to flutter, just dial it back about 5% and call it good. Another great flight!

Derek

Thanks a lot, Tony! I really had a great time with this heli today.

You were talking about the tail fluttering in FFF. Can you describe what "fluttering" would be like?

After the camera was turned off, my Dad complimented the soft landing. He really thought that was cool! He's easily amused by the simple things. Dad knows about the troubles and issues that I've been though, over the past few months, and he was very happy to see this end result. My 500 isn't flying perfect yet, but it did fly and it flew really well.

Tony

Staff member
You won't be able to see it, but hear it. It is pretty much the fast tail wag. It happened to me on my 450. Doesn't hurt the heli and you don't even notice it in flight, but you will want to lower it on the next landing.

Derek

Ok. I'll listen for it as best as I can. Today's two flights were a real "confidence booster" for me. I'll post more videos to come, I'm sure.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
that was a good flight brotha...looks like your ready for some figure eights. Oh! and by the way I like how you remembered to hit throttle hold before you plugged in the heli, that is so important. a newby at our field always forget to hit TH and one day he accidently hit the th stick and it spooled up, lucky he had soft start. we all get nervous..that means your pushing yourself to try new things. wait until you try your first flip, then you can shake in your pants. lol Good Job!

Derek

Thanks for the nice words, Anthony! I can do figure 8's on the simulator...just gotta work on my confidence more and more. Yesterday's flight was a great confidence booster for me. Now I know that I "can" fly and I will be working on it more and more. I'm looking forward to doing loops and rolls and piro's.

As far as the Throttle Hold....I think I just have so much respect for what "could" happen that I hit the Hold switch without even thinking before plugging in the battery. Probably a good thing, lol.

Take care buddy!

Slobberdog

Yes Derek I can do tons more in the sim, but when it comes to the real thing I'm quite a bit more timid, good to see the bird in the air, seem like you had a good day worth of flying.

Derek

Thanks Kev! Yeah...did a lot of flying and crashing yesterday..ha ha ha! My 500 performed very well. Very happy to see it in the air.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that T-Hold is important. Last night just after the sun went down, I took my 450 outside to test it out. The heli started doing something weird, then it just shut off and landed. I did feel my hand twitch a bit. I look down, and I had hit the T-Hold without even knowing it. Just a natural reaction when in trouble.

heli-maniac

Looking good Derek
Its very hard to learn much if you are afraid of crashing it for cost of repairs and thats just part of the game

Ken Jackson

Looks great Derek. That tail is rock solid on those punch outs. You look pretty smooth. Keep flying like that and your heart rate will calm down and you will enjoy it even more. Once your ready to try a loop find another place to fly or take off from the top of the hill. The ground as the back ground would mess me up. Just a thought,

Ken

Derek

Thanks a lot Ken! I was feeling really good after those videos. I've flown my 500 several times since then and I'm still getting "shaken up" but not as much. I absolutely love this thing...the sound it makes...the flow that it has...just awesome! I'm still shopping for a 600 sized heli but I will be keeping my 500.

concept30

Nice flying, I like flights like this, and your Hover is rock seadly, im good on the Sim but when it comes to flying my B450 i get scared and I crash.

Derek

Thanks for the.nice comment, concept30. I appreciate it. I'm getting better and better. I still get nervous so I pull my 500 into a hover so I can collect myself again and then I'm off flying again.

Keep practicing on the sim.....its really really helped me.

Top Bottom