Projects Derek's Scratch Built 74" 3D Plane

Derek

I'm glad that you enjoy my builds. Sometimes, it just never stops, lol.

As for an FPV racer....start a new thread about your "search" or "curious inquiries" and I'll give you my few thoughts.

Derek

Hey Rodney...for some reason, the forum won't let me send another PM for another 2300 seconds. That's crappy! So...I'll just put my reply here. You asked me if I have any idea as to why my Albatross strayed off...

I really have no idea why the plane darted off track. All I remember is that I did a few test passes and all seemed "good to go". I reset and got on the throttle. Once the tail got light, the tail wheel came off the ground and the plane bolted violently to the left, slamming the curb of that street. It was a poor choice for a runway but it was all that I had. I didn't get my club membership until the following season.

So, we all laughed and chuckled as we put the wreckage back into the truck. Once I got home, I stripped off all the electronics and trashed the airframe. The damage was more extensive than I had originally seen, so it was a total loss. But....it was a fun project. The airframe cost me about $150 and the electronics cost me about $200. However, like I said before, the motor and servos that were on the Albatross are now on my 3D plane. After the crashed and trashed Albatross, I had this BEEFY motor just sitting around....collecting dust. What can I build that I can put this motor on??? Let's do a large 3D plane! Yeah....sounds good! I got the wife's permission and now I have this beast of a large plane in my garage....but, it's a fraction of the size of the Albatross, lol.

Hopefully this one will fly!

trainrider06

Oh no the PM's are back to doing that again! Grrrr!
Well thats a cool story and one the whole family joined in on and right there was a golden memory for the ages!
that'll be something Grandpa will get ribbed about by his children telling the story to their children. :)

Derek

Yeah...it was pretty cool! I still need to calibrate the Castle 160HV and make a few other adjustments but the weather is so nice today, instead of spending time in the garage today, my Dad and I are going flying.

Top Bottom