Prop Derek's "EA Photon Motor Glider" Saturday flight

Derek

Earlier this week, I spoke with Jon (corsair pilot on the forum) and he was asking about my flaps setup and how it works for me. Well, on this motor glider, I actually have full length Flaperons (Flaps mixed with Ailerons). I believe they are 27" in length and 1.5" wide. I do have some down elevator mixed with the Flaperons because when the flaps are deployed, the glider begins to porpoise and stall. The little bit of down elevator helps smooth things out. I also have some down elevator mixed in with the Throttle so that the glider doesn't "nose-up" when throttle is applied.

It was a gorgeous day to be out flying. My wife and parents joined me and we had a great time!

EA Photon Flight 101213 - YouTube

EyeStation

That was a beauty too. I bet you can get 30 minutes easily. And great to have your parents join you out there.

Tony

Staff member
Derek, put your telemetry module on it and hook the wire up to the ESC so that you can monitor battery voltage. You can set an alarm for when the battery gets low.

I think RCH needs a glider lmao.

Derek

That was a beauty too. I bet you can get 30 minutes easily. And great to have your parents join you out there.

It's a great flying plane. One of my favorites. My wife loves to come watch me fly. She does well behind the camera. My parents enjoy seeing these planes fly because they are just foamboard and tape. My Dad was a Navy mechanic on an aircraft carrier so he is easily interested and amazed with these planes. It was a great time flying.

Derek

Derek, put your telemetry module on it and hook the wire up to the ESC so that you can monitor battery voltage. You can set an alarm for when the battery gets low.

I think RCH needs a glider lmao.

That's a good idea, Tony! Never thought about that. I'll have to look into how that gets setup.

Tony

Staff member
All you have to do is connect the red and black wires that came with your Radio and connect them to your power wires on your ESC then plug it into the telemetry module. From there, you will use the servo extension from the telemetry to the bind port on your Rx. Then, push and hold the button on the telemetry module and rebind everything.

Derek

hmmm, we may have to meet up on Skype for a video call sometime so you can walk me through this. I may have to change receivers because I'm using an OrangeRx on this glider. Hasn't failed on me yet and I've got over 20 flights on this glider.

Derek

Thanks Gerald! I love that plane. It's such a smooth flyer and tons of power. I'm still working on dialing in the full span flaperons along with the elevator mix. But...the way that it is setup now works pretty well. If you'd like some details on whats on this plane, I'd gladly share it.

Gerald

Thanks for the offer Derek,but after crashing the RCHelp trainer today and bending the motor shaft and busting off the prop adaptor I am questioning my ability to actually fly!
I have the Mini super cub and I can fly it fairly well. I am not sure what i am doing wrong, the trainer wants ground loop to the right hard then when I do get off the ground we go hard left. The COG is right at 2 1/2" back of the leading edge. the control surfaces look straight it is probably just my inexperience, I have only been flying since September. I dont want to get off topic, Tony is watching LOL. Will just keep plugging away at it!.

Derek

Well, it is a bit "off topic" but I can assure you that the best thing you can do is to just keep trying. When your plane takes off to the left, after take off, it probably means that you might need to add some right angle to your motor's direction by adding a small washer or two behind the motor mount and the firewall. I had the same issues with my RCH Trainer as well as my Photon motorglider. Applying too much throttle on take off can cause this pull to the left. As you throttle up, the torque from the motor will want to make the plane roll left, then add the forward direction from the thrust will pull the plane to the left.

I have crashed and rebuilt every single plane that I own, at least once. Ya just gotta go buy some more foamboard and try again. Keep trying Gerald! Stay determined and I promise your flying skills will improve.

Top Bottom